shortages? thoughts?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
you can't process your own? (i had to look up what that was :) )
There is a shortage of sunflower seeds. Globally is due to Ukraine. In the USA, there was a shortage of sunflower seed (field seed) this spring. There might be some relief this winter from this year's USA sunflower harvest, but sunflower products (especially oil) are likely to be higher priced and less available for at least a year.

Ukraine exports/exported 47% of global exports of sunflower oil.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There is a shortage of sunflower seeds. Globally is due to Ukraine. In the USA, there was a shortage of sunflower seed (field seed) this spring. There might be some relief this winter from this year's USA sunflower harvest, but sunflower products (especially oil) are likely to be higher priced and less available for at least a year.

This, yes. We haven't seen it since late last winter. It is all my oldest can eat in terms of any seed/nut butters due to allergies. She asked for it again this week, so I am on the hunt. It was already close to $8/jar I hate to see what it is now.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
This, yes. We haven't seen it since late last winter. It is all my oldest can eat in terms of any seed/nut butters due to allergies. She asked for it again this week, so I am on the hunt. It was already close to $8/jar I hate to see what it is now.
price gouging much? :eek: third-party seller on walmart.com. Top search result.
1661372134327.png

amazon has 6 pack of 16 oz for $38.88

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

i've not been having a hard time finding sunflower seeds at WallysWorld.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
glad to see Jif back on the shelves. we're still working our way through a 2nd 5lb jar of Skippy so we won't need any for another month or so but it is nice to see it back.
Organic PB (the kinds that don't contain palm oil) have not recovered from the Jif recall. I've been able to pick up a jar here and there, usually the last one left on the shelf. I hope I can get 2 more when I go grocery shopping tomorrow.