shortages

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
That makes me so angry! Why are the feeding things that could make you sick?!
I'm proud of teens for recognizing that Standard American Diet makes them unwell. Highly processed foods, "vegetable" oils, etc. It's standard American cafeteria food, but that's why Americans are so unhealthy.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I put the air purifier on and wear a mask when I use CLR. The problem with it is the sprayer puts streaks on the surface that runs down and cleans only the streaks. I rub it around to try to clean better, but it doesn't work well. I've found that baking soda and vinegar works better.
safer, too

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Unfortunately most kids dont get sick bc they eat processed or restaurant/fast food daily in their family life.

My DD15 and DD7 take all whole food with an occasional organic/whole food store bought "treat". Both have nut and dairy issues, and the oldest doesn't tolerate eggs well. So very mindful of what they eat. We do buy some breads, cereals, pasta, etc. But mainly if we don't grow it, buy it at the local CSA farm, or trade with friends we dont eat it.

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Unfortunately most kids dont get sick bc they eat processed or restaurant/fast food daily in their family life.

My DD15 and DD7 take all whole food with an occasional organic/whole food store bought "treat". Both have nut and dairy issues, and the oldest doesn't tolerate eggs well. So very mindful of what they eat. We do buy some breads, cereals, pasta, etc. But mainly if we don't grow it, buy it at the local CSA farm, or trade with friends we dont eat it.
What a great way to live your life! This pregnancy has got me eating more processed food simply because it has more calories. So if anyone has a high calorie food recipe with minimal processing I would love to have it!! We also don’t have enough animals to do that. I’m trying so hard to grow a garden next year. It’s hard!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
What a great way to live your life! This pregnancy has got me eating more processed food simply because it has more calories. So if anyone has a high calorie food recipe with minimal processing I would love to have it!! We also don’t have enough animals to do that. I’m trying so hard to grow a garden next year. It’s hard!
Fat bombs!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Eat more fats. Fats provide energy to grow your babies. Saturated fats provide the building blocks for healthy cell walls and neural tissue. Eating fat helps you get more energy in without increasin insulin and risking gestational diabetes. Most people are deficient in fat-soluble vitamins, so eating fat that includes them and helps you absorb fat-soluble vitamins in your food is important.
  • Lard
  • Butter - organic grassfed if you are able.
  • Cook up bacon and save the fat (delicious on dribbled on salad!)
  • Egg yolk - and cook it up with butter or bacon
  • Coconut oil if it's safe for you (I'm allergic to coconut)
  • Wild caught salmon, or smaller fish. Check the current calculators for how much is safe per week during pregnancy.
  • Liver - organic and grassfed again if you are able. I use raw/organic/grassfed beef liver capsules
  • Saute leafy greens with bacon grease, butter, or coconut oil. Leafy greens are rich in vitamin K which is a fat-soluble vitamin. Most Americans are so deficient in vitamin K that no tested breastmilk had ANY in it and it's standard procedure for infants to get a vitamin K injection at birth. Yikes. (The average American adult eat 1 pound of leafy greens per year. My teen son and I eat a pound a week or more!!)
To count as a healthy fat, it must be solid as room temperature.

I will tag you in a nutrition thread!

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hope you're wrong! I heard it would ease up in in early 2022. I guess it will get better when it gets better, lol. So far I haven't really missed anything. Bought all the groceries and feed I needed yesterday - no major shortages here (yet?). Have a pantry that would rival a convenience store lol. If we can't get livestock feed there will be some serious culling going on around here - and lots of bbq!
Let me show you my Krogers shelves.
20211013_165126.jpg
20211013_165115.jpg
20211013_165041.jpg
20211013_165037.jpg
20210820_134248.jpg

Latest posts