shortages

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Heck I sent Mom a copy of the egg storage experiment they did back in the 70s recently. She was trying to tell me what she'd read in a shared Facebook post, so I sent her the link. MEN article came down to unwashed eggs in an airtight container in the fridge to make them last. I don't keep them past 2 weeks so none of it applies to me because the girls make more.
this is probably my favorite article, ever.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm waiting to hear from someone who's tried liming eggs to say how the eggs kept.
I am water glassing for the first time this year. I have 4 dozen eggs set in lime. I am going to let them go 6 months (Oct) and then try some. I saved as my girls were 1 this March and will likely not give too many eggs this winter.

My plan is to keep putting up 3-4 dozen a month til they molt

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Heard on news ... Baby formula. Since no babes, not something I'd notice.

Oh, I love the chocolate Stauffers animal crackers. :drool. But only occasional buy.

My grand parents lived in WV, in the hills. So one directly behind house. They had dug into it. Framed in that section and added a roof, which was covered with excavated dirt. Shelves all along the walls for canned goods. Worked really well.
Baby formula shortage is easy enough to fix for upcoming mothers.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Baby formula shortage is easy enough to fix for upcoming mothers.
not if doctors don't re-start screening or tongue and lip ties. :rantI had the worst time getting [second baby] to latch for months. Lactation consultant was no help. Thank goodness it wasn't my first experience and I knew where to get resources and how to cope. Find out when kid is 6 YEARS old - and from the dentist, no less - that he has a lip tie. I knew to check for a tongue tie but not a lip tie.

Now it's imbedded in the culture that some mothers can't make enough milk. That's true - and rare. More likely that baby isn't latching or sucking correctly due to a tongue or lip tie.

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
not if doctors don't re-start screening or tongue and lip ties. :rantI had the worst time getting [second baby] to latch for months. Lactation consultant was no help. Thank goodness it wasn't my first experience and I knew where to get resources and how to cope. Find out when kid is 6 YEARS old - and from the dentist, no less - that he has a lip tie. I knew to check for a tongue tie but not a lip tie.

Now it's imbedded in the culture that some mothers can't make enough milk. That's true - and rare. More likely that baby isn't latching or sucking correctly due to a tongue or lip tie.
Iowa has been hit hard by the baby formula shortage. It really worries me for all those underprivileged moms.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am water glassing for the first time this year. I have 4 dozen eggs set in lime. I am going to let them go 6 months (Oct) and then try some. I saved as my girls were 1 this March and will likely not give too many eggs this winter.

My plan is to keep putting up 3-4 dozen a month til they molt

My old cook books complain about the texture on waterglassed eggs. That's why I'm curious if lime causes problems too.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm not sure how you'd do that at home. I've never actually seen pasteurized eggs in the store even though I know they do it commercially.

it looks more finicky than i'd expect and it doesn't seem like it gains storage time so i guess that would be why you don't hear much about it being done by home canners. an industrial process would have more tests and quality controls just in case.

Last edited:

Latest posts