shortages

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That sounds like a great idea! Hope it works out well.

I tried canning milk in the past. Ugh...on taste. Luckily the pigs weren't as picky as me, lol!

it is interesting to me that tastes can differ so much between people. i'm quite ok with powdered milk but Mom can't stand it.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I opened a #10 can of tomato powder that we bought 15 years ago. It is actually pretty good stuff. I made some tomato paste out of it and it tastes like store bought tomato paste, lol. I was out of the little cans of tomato sauce that I use for my pasta and tomato sauce lunch dish. DH won't eat it, but it was something that we ate a lot as kids so I make it for lunches. A quick and cheap lunch for a bunch of hungry kids. Thinking about it, we ate it mostly while mom was busy in the summer with the garden.

We bought a bunch of pantry staples for use in camping, hunting and the power outages that were so common in Wyoming. This was one of the things we bought. We used very little of our supplies.

It is time to use it up and restock. now, at least I know what we will and will not use, lol. It has gotten SO expensive though. Many, many people are stocking up on freeze dried foods for the last few years.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it is amazing how many different uses you can get out of tomatoes. for tomato soup you can use tomato paste and just fry some flour in some butter, when that's fried for a bit you can then add garlic and onion powder and if you want cream of tomato soup you can use milk or cream. tastes just like out of the can of condensed tomato soup. those little cans of tomato paste i could eat as a snack all by themselves.

we ate tons and tons of macaroni and tomatoes through the years and still do now. it's one of our favorite simple meals. put a little butter on it and we're happy campers. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you've ever had fresh milk, all else pales. 🤫. I don't like powdered milk as in a glass to drink! Ok for cooking if I must. But I can chug a pint of fresh, cold goat milk. 🤣

Mom bought a gallon of whole milk a few weeks ago. to me it is like drinking butter. we're used to skim milk here so it's quite a change. she doesn't like whole milk. i don't know why she bought it. she says it was one sale.

in recent trips to Wally's World they've had all their milk the same price no matter what kind it is.

Fixit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Speaking of the freeze dried foods . If you like Augason farms then check out prepping deals.net 20% to 50% deals on Amazon .
Stopped and took a peek . # 10 cans butter powder $19.94 reg $42.99 .

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Speaking of the freeze dried foods . If you like Augason farms then check out prepping deals.net 20% to 50% deals on Amazon .
Stopped and took a peek . # 10 cans butter powder $19.94 reg $42.99 .
Haven't tried butter powder. Interesting

Latest posts