shortages

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
NOW....what else?? Dry cat food. :idunno :th

Probably wouldn't notice so much except for these cats crowding me. Lately most stores are out or close. Its like TP 2 yrs ago :lol:. 5# of chicken drumsticks cooking now to mix with dry I have. On markdown, they were!!! None in freezer 'cause I'm not a dark meat chicken fan.

Since I'm on my annual winter "don't buy groceries" fling, dry cat food is almost all I buy. So I notice!

By the way -- I've been SOOO good! 7weeks and only bought a box of six ice cream bars, a pkg of hamburger rolls and a bag of trail mix and these chicken drumsticks.....think that's all. Very minimal, anyway. 👍. Its a personal "can you do it" thing each year. Reinforces my preparedness as well as resolve to use what I've got before I "just buy". A good self retraining too. Try it, make it a game. It changes your attitude 😁

Made bread yesterday. Had some with homemade apple butter for breakfast. :drool

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can't tolerate sugar added to tomatoes! (Or the baking soda trick)

My solution is to get canned tomatoes that dont have acid added. (Cento or Pomi brands, but read the labels to double check). Then I make the sauce 50% other veggies - onions, celery, garlic, spinach, bell peppers, mushrooms.

No acidity problems then! 😅

i normally don't add any acid to the ones we grow and put up either. they're consistently acidic enough. the exception when i add some lemon juice to some is when they might have had a lot of inclusions or other possible contact with the soil or bacteria or whatever - since i can't stand the idea of just throwing them away (or giving them away) i'll do that instead. but also sometimes i just say i've had enough for the season and bury the rest and let the worms sort it all out. they got it down. :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Seen the propane man at the neighbors, walked over and asked him if he would top us off, while he's in the neighborhood. He said he appreciates when people do that without having to come back for just one tank. Propane was $2.20 a gallon. 185 gallons topped us off.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mom said eggs were over $7.00 a dozen at Wallysworld. i would have passed. plenty of other things to eat that we have on hand. sounds like a bit of price gouging going on and as usual people start panicking and hoarding.

i would gladly not eat eggs at those prices i have plenty of beans, we can eat dairy/cheese, canned tomatoes, etc. she's not budget conscious like i am. if she wants it she buys it and doesn't care about prices. i hate shopping, but when i do it i am flexible as to what's on sale and what's in-season.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Baked oatmeal day, apple cinnamon this time. Enough for 8 breakfasts or 4 for both of us 😋
IMG_20230114_171755542.jpg

I found out why she refuses to buy cereal. Read the label, all off it, research and draw your own conclusion.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸