shortages

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@farmerjan hug your DS for me!! I explain similar things to shoppers when I'm checking prices and they are "complaining". I feed chickens every day.

People do not know or consider how poorly the farmers are paid to feed them.😞

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i would rather make oatmeal and do things with that if i can if i want a hot cereal breakfast, but recently we've been eating more fruits and nuts so today was mini banana split for breakfast and that's all i'll have today until asparagus mushroom soup later. we're going to try to go for a walk too since the sun is sort of out and it isn't so bitter cold.

we've also been keeping sliced apples handy and i've liked those as snacks and even meals at times (with peanut butter of course :) ).

I dont eat it for breakfast. I don't eat in the morning usually. When I do it's kombucha with some nuts or jerky or such.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pretty bad when the cost of a new truck is as much as my house cost 3 years ago.... yes, the house needs work.... but the truck will only depreciate... and the house will "take care of me" if I do what needs to take care of it and the land will not depreciate...
Sad but true story. I paid the same for my truck as my house. It had 130,000 miles on it at the time.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I guess there is no shortage of my BMI. It's been well over a year of me, getting used to the new me 😂

Screenshot_20230116-130947.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it's hard to believe that it was almost 13 years ago when the part-time job i used to love had turned into a mess and i was sick of it so i quit that next spring.

a part of the reason for doing that was to spend more time in the gardens and growing food we liked to eat. even doing the math back then it was worth more for my time to do that than to work at that job. it was a low paying part-time job.

when food prices get high enough it will give more people the incentive to grow more food. i don't think the market signal is lost on those who really want to do it. as the prices get even higher those less motivated will find the motivation.

in the meantime those of us who do have seeds and knowledge can help out anyone who cares to ask.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
First generator test with 1 gallon gasoline. Just the cave and barn. 1 stock tank heater, 3 freezers, a refrigerator, numerous lights (LED) and assorted electronic stuff. It won't run the heat pump on auxiliary heat, but does fine with normal heat pump and runs the blower fan no problem. Not conserned much about auxiliary heat or even the heat pump in normal mode, because we have a wood stove that'll keep the cave like the bahamas if we need it in the winter.

Not bad at all actually, it's kicking out consistent 238 volts, nice clean power with no lights flickering. I put in a good 50 amp twist lock receptacle on 6 gauge 3 with ground copper to a 50 amp breaker in the panel box. That and a and a good 15 foot 50 amp extension cord is doing what it should. I'm just doing a gallon of 87 octane test. I'll run it, till it runs out of gas to get a idea of runtime per gallon.

Next test will be adding the house. It has a LP gas furnace and LP tankless hot water heater, refrigerator, LED lights and assorted electronics. Electric clothes dryer and electric range, probably won't be able to use unless at night. But we'll see how that goes.

IMG_20230116_135656640~2.jpg

IMG_20230116_135715394.jpg

Edit... The generator ran 1hr and 40 minutes on one gallon of 87 octane gasoline, I loaded it down too, had everything running, including cycling the the heat pump and air conditioning along with external LED flood lights. 1 hour 40 minutes per gallon of gasoline is pretty good. That's 7 hours per 5 gallon gas can. I'm pretty happy with the first test. I need to think about the test and then discuss with Farm Babe. But she already mentioned building a murphy's bed, so we could sleep in the cave if we had to.

I'm pretty confident the generator will run the house also. Need to conserve electric in the cave and maybe just use the ceiling fans LEDs for lighting if needed. I need to get her on a LP gas stove then she could cook as she normally would. But even still, we have other means to cook.i'm curious to see how adding the house will do, test 2.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited: