shortages

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My wild guess is Sugar.

i live around sugar beet land and i think this year was a reasonable sugar beet harvest - i know the sugar company reduced their restrictions that they had in place after the previous year where there was a lot more demand than they could supply.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Are peanut shells good mixed in with animal feed? Seems like the would be, IDK...
They have a little protein and some nuts get thru. Its a roughage/filler type thing. Replaces some forage basically. The goats love them. They are good soil amendment, loosens up clays, etc. There's a lot of cotton produced here, too. Seeds are ground for oil and residue has been used in cattle feeding I've heard. Soybeans grown in my area, also. Like most crops, chemicals to consider.

During cotton harvest you ride by fields with big rolled bales in pink and yellow wrappers. 🤣.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
another interesting note about the grain elevator fire that has burned for over a month, since i was driving by last Tuesday i could see the change from the previous month. it is still burning at times when they expose hot spots where they can get more air, the walls that used to be there holding the grain were gone and it was down quite a bit from where it was before. i'm not sure if they are trucking it someplace to use it or what but it used to hold 3 million bushels of corn. could it have burned a million bushels? perhaps, but i don't know. they've dumped a lot of water on it in putting out the fire and also the rains that have come along in recent weeks. when i saw it towards the end of December it was mostly an intact pile with just the top of the elevator burned of (it was a wooden cover with a metal frame underneath).

ah, here's an article with more details. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow!!!! That's a lot. Animal feed bonanza going to waste. 😞

they're not sure yet what they can do with it, might go to animal feed or ethanol production. it will be cleaned.

the tough spot they are in though is that i think all the grain elevators are full in this area so they're going to have to figure out something before it gets too warm out and it starts to rot. already with all the water they've poured on it i can't imagine it going well...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This should generate some interesting discussion. Uncooked egg smuggling from Mexico is a NO NO, carries upto a $10,000 fine.

Click on "Watch on YouTube"

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited: