shortages

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went to Costco so checked eggs. No 5 dozen packs. These were the only eggs there. No regular eggs.

20230118_180240.jpg

20230118_180253.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Agree, good prices -- for today 😁 -- on eggs. But you DO expect better prices there, right?

Wonder what's the next short supply item?🤣

One thing leads to another. We all listen to happenings that affect what will cause a concern for months out and prepare. Being a farmer makes you desperately aware of cause and effect, more than the "city folk". Its paramount to survival that weather and planning are always considered for our next yr crop -- be it livestock or crops. Hay thru winter, water, fertilizer, seed for crops, graze, animals bred, etc.

City folk -- go to store and buy! Blindsided when shelves are empty. The most prep many see is for a storm coming in over weekend -- buy couple gal of water and extra sandwich fixings. 🤷🤔

Just morning thoughts.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
the key words on those, "Cage Free" and "Pasture Raised" - i don't think i've ever seen those for less than $3 - $6 per dozen and those are two dozen. so not really bad at all... IMO. :)

Yeah. Its a bit better than the health food store by about a buck. Why I said there were no regular eggs. That's all Costco had. Usually there are some regular eggs

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Agree, good prices -- for today 😁 -- on eggs. But you DO expect better prices there, right?

One thing leads to another. We all listen to happenings that affect what will cause a concern for months out and prepare. Being a farmer makes you desperately aware of cause and effect, more than the "city folk". Its paramount to survival that weather and planning are always considered for our next yr crop -- be it livestock or crops. Hay thru winter, water, fertilizer, seed for crops, graze, animals bred, etc.

City folk -- go to store and buy! Blindsided when shelves are empty. The most prep many see is for a storm coming in over weekend -- buy couple gal of water and extra sandwich fixings. 🤷🤔

Just morning thoughts.
Truth to that! eyes wide open 👀

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

we can start a pool! :)

One thing leads to another. We all listen to happenings that affect what will cause a concern for months out and prepare. Being a farmer makes you desperately aware of cause and effect, more than the "city folk".

true. also at the smaller level being a gardener you think ahead to what you want to plant and where if you are doing crop rotations (i'm always thinking three years ahead for the garden plots).

Its paramount to survival that weather and planning are always considered for our next yr crop -- be it livestock or crops. Hay thru winter, water, fertilizer, seed for crops, graze, animals bred, etc.

Just morning thoughts.

other than very minor amounts it was very very rare to have any shelf at the store empty for long. if it was empty that meant the store was losing sales so they paid people to keep on top of things and to keep them stocked. then the pandemic came along and the first thing was TP... of all the things... butt (pi :) ) it made sense because all of a sudden everyone was switching from going to work (and going there) to staying home (and going there) instead. then after that it was certain foods that were in higher demand because everyone was staying home and cooking and the restaurant supply places had to downsize until people got more used to doing take-out again.

wild times. i remember canning jars and lids. haven't even felt i had to look at the shelves for those recently but we should check for large-mouth lids just to stock up some again.

hmm. with the next holiday being Valentines day perhaps red food coloring and candy will be the next shortages? people already worried about flour so i can't count that one...