shortages

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not a shortage as in can't find any but price increase. I order oyster shell flakes from Scratch and Peck-girls will only eat the flakes not the pebbles--this spring $12 a bag, this fall $16, went to order some today and they are $19.95 and you still can't add them to on-going reorders due to supply. Thankfully I can mix in their shells to so they last a bit longer but YIKES.

i saw yesterday how some places are having a synthetic fertilizer shortage. so save your poops.

interesting that the birdies won't eat pebbles. around here the birds eat the rocks along the road for grit. i always will save my eggshells from cooking but Mom will not. so silly IMO it only takes a few moments to clean them up for drying, then i crush them up before putting them through the worm farm buckets and eventually those end up in the gardens.

i'd keep giving them limestone grit and eventually the youngest ones will figure it out and then cull out the troublemakers who won't eat the grit.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This 👇
IMG_20211214_130325170~2.jpg

IMG_20211214_130330791~3.jpg

Is why, we have these 👇
IMG_20211211_112648953_HDR.jpg

Make sense? I hope so... One need to be Einstein, to figure this one out. 😂

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I offer calcium as eggshells or oystershell. I do offer grit for young birds. Older ones ignore it. We have enough rocks and they have ground access that they prefer to find their own.

Finding oystershell is a difficult thing still around here. I have plenty still.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine free range, eat grit...I do give them excess goat milk, which they love! :)

We haven't seen the end of increases!!!! Everywhere and everything. Animal feeds are a challenge and everyone needs to grow more of the things our grands did years ago to feed theirs. I know that's happening here! Of course, I'm blessed to have a little extra land and some don't but, a lot can be grown in a small area if you try it.

Black oil sunflower seed used to be $17.99 for 40#. Now $26.99! That's in past 9-10 months. Yeah. Baby...there will be sunflowers growing here again this yr! I have 50ish chickens and about 20 goats. Lucky for pasture but, it's not growing grass in winter. 😶

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just stocked up on 300lbs of chicken feed. All 3 trash cans are full. Just in case. Should last me a couple months if I ration it. They free range during the day so they only get fed once a day.

Last edited: