shortages

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just experience speaking... If your going to feed chickens their egg shells. Make sure you grind them well first or you'll end up with a couple of egg eaters, like I did.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
Yep I make them pretty small, smaller than the flake oyster shells. No problems here with egg eating but you never know what those crazy birds will do. Lol

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I offer calcium as eggshells or oystershell. I do offer grit for young birds. Older ones ignore it. We have enough rocks and they have ground access that they prefer to find their own.

Finding oystershell is a difficult thing still around here. I have plenty still.
Mine have a lot of grit available too, that they eat! Just not the pebbled formed oyster shell. Lol
I never did when I had chickens 🤷🏻‍♀️
I didn't until I had 3 shell-less eggs. Mine don't free range though so they don't find supplements

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Mine don't free range though so they don't find supplements
Mine have a small outdoor run, but they don't go out in winter. My hen went broody 3 times this last year summer so she didn't make many eggs. We'll see how my pullets do. I have 4 that should start laying soon.

When I had Rhode Island Reds we did get thin shells for a while. That's when I started saving shells, cooking, grinding and offering it back to them. It solved the problem.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The pork processing disruptions circa 8/2021 - 10/2021 seem to have trickled down to dog pork hide chews. I didn't think of that as an item to stock and ran out. Can't find them from major retailers. My dogs will have to chew on something different for a while. :hu

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The pork processing disruptions circa 8/2021 - 10/2021 seem to have trickled down to dog pork hide chews. I didn't think of that as an item to stock and ran out. Can't find them from major retailers. My dogs will have to chew on something different for a while. :hu
Got any butcher shops around where you could get some big bones?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Got any butcher shops around where you could get some big bones?
The only local butcher shop I'm aware of sells grass-fed/grass-finished to a paleo consumer base, so even their bone is expensive. But you did get me thinking about contacting custom butchers before next year's deer hunting season to see if I could buy excess bone. I prefer venison bone broth.

I ordered beef rawhides for my dogs, no shortage there.