shortages

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry @JanetMarie but the law also explicitly states that you may not eat eggs either, since they are "baby animals". Dairy is also verboten. All domestic animals, including pets, are "slaves" and that will also be illegal.
I'm not sure what will be done about "pets" but I fear that they will be required to be destroyed.
Only fertilized eggs could be considered babies. Outlaw pets AND destroying them! That will not happen.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
but this would circle back to shortages in a way that the vegetable and fruit consumption would be a significant increase and how would the farmers deal with the new demand need I wonder?
In a hypothetical worst case scenario where meat replacements actually replaced meat, their would be increased demand for grain. Farmers who grow grain for animal feed would switch to growing grain for human consumption. There would be long-term unintended consequences, like generations of shorter-stature citizens, nutrition deficiencies, greater reliance on enrichment/ fortified foods, and increased rate of chronic illnesses, like autoimmune diseases, metabolic disease and obesity. There could be human rights issues raised from those with food allergies and GI conditions. I don't imagine for a moment that it would ever actually happen, but if it did, I don't expect a food shortage to arise because of it.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's getting wild out there. What do you think is best way to cope? And how long do you think it will take for shipping and shortages to stabilize/normalize
stock up on the stuff you can't make or grow yourself without taking more than you need, I guess.

If I had to guess it would take awhile for shipping to stabilize as they have to find employees to help move the items first.

a good deep breath and a cup of tea is how I make it through the day.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
a good deep breath and a cup of tea is how I make it through the day.
I stocked up on tea :gig You're so right about a deep breath and a calming ritual. Staying calm in crisis is a cultivated skill. 2020 showed us how important mental health habits are when SHTF. A lot of people suffered more than necessary.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
the stuff that Mom really likes is called The Works and it does, but we've not been able to get any of that now for months. the dollar store won't stock it any longer and the other stores don't have it any more either. we have enough rust in the water that it does look bad after a while. we're trying some other things now and i hope they work. my suggestion is to never put in all white anything (our sinks, toilets and shower are all white) - our shower needs to be redone completely as the plastic is starting to crack and i want to just put in rust colored tile and grout and be done with it for good. we'll see if i can talk Mom into that...

That's what I use. I can't tell you how many people tell me "oh just use CLR" except it doesn't work. Didn't work on calcium buildup we had in Virginia Beach, had to use vinegar for that. Doesn't work on rust.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
View attachment 16753This is all Bill Gates funded “synthetic meat” & lab “plant based protein” that is on the Oregon ballot to legally replace all real meat. This is not vegan or vegetarian made from vegis. This is lab grown Petri dish vats of cells that are being multiplied and sold to totally replace real animal meat by Feb 2022 if the ballot passes in Nov in Oregon making all real animal meat consumption, farming, ranching, fishing or hunting illegal if you kill the animal to feed your family or run a business based on it. It will literally be a murder charge and also will close down most of our entire state industries and food sources. The photos are our local Fred Meyers which already has a 4’ section of it. I'm afraid it's gonna pass, since Oregon gerrymandered all the districts this year to make sure that "red" counties will NOT be able to make any difference in the vote.

This is just the beginning. Once Oregon passes this, I can guarantee you will be seeing laws like this throughout the rest of the country.

I could sue them for attempted murder. My body cannot use non-heme (plant based) iron. I must consume heme iron (animal based). They are very distict things in nature. Which means normal supplements don't work for me. It's a somewhat rare problem but not unheard of. I was diagnosed way back in the 90s because my time of the month was getting lethal on anemia and I ended up at the hospital.

I won't touch any of that uber processed crap. I doubt a law like that would survive challenge in court. Big issue is it would make protein unaffordable for most people.

This is like when PETA tried to concince that one African tribe who subsisted almost entirely off their cattle become vegetarian. Except vegetables pretty much won't grow there.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Gas here has been fluctuating between 3.49 and 3.69 for about a year.

The bottle water issue isn't as much a problem now that summer is over. Nobody could really get any back in August. My parents, who don't use any, hit Costco right when they put some out then. They bought the 2 limit because my brother had been searching. His wife got all excited when they showed up with it.

I don't get the distilled water shortage. I could somewhat understand when idiots were buying it to drink. I have to buy it when I see it now and keep some in storage. I'm not running the incubator right now, but hubby uses a lot with his C-pap.

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here there seems to be a diaper shortage, along with formula. Both of these shortages scare the crap out of me. Along with bullets of course

Latest posts