shortages

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't get the distilled water shortage. I could somewhat understand when idiots were buying it to drink. I have to buy it when I see it now and keep some in storage. I'm not running the incubator right now, but hubby uses a lot with his C-pap.
I wonder if it is more the packaging than the actual water shortage-like they can't get or make the bottles

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I could sue them for attempted murder. My body cannot use non-heme (plant based) iron. I must consume heme iron (animal based). They are very distict things in nature. Which means normal supplements don't work for me. It's a somewhat rare problem but not unheard of. I was diagnosed way back in the 90s because my time of the month was getting lethal on anemia and I ended up at the hospital.

I won't touch any of that uber processed crap. I doubt a law like that would survive challenge in court. Big issue is it would make protein unaffordable for most people.

This is like when PETA tried to concince that one African tribe who subsisted almost entirely off their cattle become vegetarian. Except vegetables pretty much won't grow there.
Some animal versions of vitamins are more readily available to humans. I ate raw liver and egg yolks to help restore my lungs a few year ago (high in retinol). There are some people who only eat meat, and who react to many chemicals that are produced in and by vegetables.

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There's cloth diapers. Sort of yucky, but doable.
This is true, I’m not sure where to source them though. Formula is scarier for me, in case I die during childbirth or my body isn’t producing enough. I don’t want DW to panic.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh! Chicken feed! I've had issues getting it sometimes so I go at least every other week to top up. I need more storage space for it.

And oystershell has been nearly impossible to find for a year and a half. I have plenty because I bought before the shortage and found a bag last June.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I don't get the distilled water shortage. I could somewhat understand when idiots were buying it to drink. I have to buy it when I see it now and keep some in storage. I'm not running the incubator right now, but hubby uses a lot with his C-pap.
Have you seen this? I want to try it just because. I can't think of a use for distilled water, it's not something I buy.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Here there seems to be a diaper shortage, along with formula. Both of these shortages scare the crap out of me. Along with bullets of course
If your baby isn't in daycare, cloth diapers are very do-able. I think new parents should have some cloth dipes on hand even if they plan to use disposable. Especially true for families with any financial insecurity so that running out of diapers before payday is not a problem.

I can help with cloth diapering. Finding the right kind can be hard. They're not available in stores and the grandmas who offer cloth diapering advice have no idea what they're talking about. Cloth diapering has changed dramatically. Its so much easier now!