shortages

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you look at the food from countries with large amounts of vegetarians like India, the food is very good and tasty. Why can't that be a thing here? Why does it have to be processed food that mimics meat and tastes bleh.

I tried samples of vegetarian cheeses once when we lived in Virginia Beach. I did not have a good few hours. I avoid that
Because they are using whole foods. They areńt trying to make it taste or feel or smell like meat. A mere impossible task.

Iḿ assuming you mean vegan cheese- It makes me real sick too. Dońt recommend...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i've not tried any of the newfangled meat substitutes yet. i don't really eat out that often. i'd try one if someone gave it to me. unlikely to eat them a lot because after reading about them they don't seem all that healthy anyways and i really don't need yet more junk in my diet.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Because they are using whole foods. They areńt trying to make it taste or feel or smell like meat. A mere impossible task.

Iḿ assuming you mean vegan cheese- It makes me real sick too. Dońt recommend...

Yes, vegan. I make typos on the phone often enough. Many vegetarians eat milk and eggs.

I know one pescatarian and a friend from school only ever eats chicken and fish. I can't remember any student even saying anything to her about it other than to ask why. Trauma involving seeing her pet cow slaughtered in front of her. She'd had that thing for 4 years. One of her uncles felt that if it wasn't providing anything it was beef and brought a couple buddies over one day. Her parents weren't happy with him either.

First cousin once removed (great aunt's daughter) is vegetarian. She's just very careful on everything and hormones after a cancer diagnosis that she beat. She doesn't eat any of the imitation meat. She learned tasty dishes to make for meals. Her husband eats some meat and my second cousin eats chicken and fish.

I don't eat unfermented soy. Used to like the fried tofu in miso soup at my favorite Japanese restaurant, but any unfermented makes me sick now. No issues with miso, natto, or soy sauce.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hard pass for me. Nothing makes me more sick and painful than pea protein! IDK why and I have no motivation to find out. It's bad enough I stay away from legumes entirely (rare exception for immature green beans, french cut preferred because the beans fall out.)

Well that sucks as beans can be tasty.

I have allium intolerance that causes onion family to not digest properly. Upset stomach, severe pain, body trying to expel it from both ends. Once it's vomited out the symptoms stop pretty fast. Large portion of my family has it and the doctor said it's genetic and not that rare. Cooking does help on it as does keeping up a tolerance by eating cooked a few times a month to prevent severe illness if I get some raw onion in something by accident. That didn't work for Mom so I don't recommend it.

People mistake food intolerance for food allergies a lot. One can make you dead, the other only makes you wish you were.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well that sucks as beans can be tasty.

I have allium intolerance that causes onion family to not digest properly. Upset stomach, severe pain, body trying to expel it from both ends. Once it's vomited out the symptoms stop pretty fast. Large portion of my family has it and the doctor said it's genetic and not that rare. Cooking does help on it as does keeping up a tolerance by eating cooked a few times a month to prevent severe illness if I get some raw onion in something by accident. That didn't work for Mom so I don't recommend it.

People mistake food intolerance for food allergies a lot. One can make you dead, the other only makes you wish you were.

wow, life without onions and garlic would be a bummer. :( we eat a lot of both.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
wow, life without onions and garlic would be a bummer. :( we eat a lot of both.

That's how I feel. I've been very careful to keep up a good tolerance since I was 19 and got sick the first time. I always cook onions to death as it does help. I can't remember the name of the chemical in them, but heat destroys it some. I like philly cheese steaks and that has been my nightime misery to keep up the tolerance lately. It's not that much onion and lots of peppers.

Hubby always watches me eat onions. He's waiting to say I told you so when I eat more than a couple bites.

But I think avoiding legumes would be worse. I can at least build some tolerance but I don't think it would work with legumes.

Latest posts