shortages

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Another way to look at shortages.
I do some volunteer work with a food giveaway ministery . We did 2 last week and one today . That covers 3 different county's . Today while talking with the leader he said that the Second Harvest warehouse is down to half its normal level on dry and can goods . There frozen meats are down to a third of their normal levels . If it doesn't hit the stores and wholesale warehouses with surpluses it can't be donated.
Awful. I wish I could be donating eggs right now.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just checked - was maybe still is the cheapest price in town, I didn't compare since it's historical been the cheapest. Nickel increase from yesterday.

Screenshot_20220304-084901.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Diesel here jumped to $4.75 from 4.45 yesterday and gas is up to 3.59... talk from a friend that runs the one of the local stations is to look for diesel to jump another $.50 -.60 gal by Monday...
DS called and ordered the tanks at the farm to get filled and they are coming tomorrow....before it gets any worse.
Yes, hay is going to go up because it going to cost us nearly twice to make it in fuel costs... notwithstanding that fertilizer prices are more than doubled now and we are going to go light on most of our hay ground so there will be less....
Forewarned... it is going to get worse.
Talk is tonight Putin bombed a nuclear power plant in Ukraine... I'm going to try to find some info....
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sunnyside+wa+fertlizer+fire&ia=web

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’m nervous about hay for next winter. Prices will be up.
Same here!!! And I understand, as @farmerjan says, gas and fertilizer prices are killer but must be passed along....plus making less due to those same costs! Add that to grains, THEN add increased transport costs. :th o_O. I'm really concerned.

Many will sell animals due to this. Then prices for livestock will drop. 🙄😬☹️

Trust me, toilet paper won't be all we will be looking for very soon!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Worst case, my sheep can live off hay, they don’t actually eat grain, just hay, minerals and Haystretcher grass pellets. We get round bales from a local farmer, prices will go up but we can swing it if it’s a small to moderate increase. If it’s huge I’ll have to choose my favorites.

My big concern is that most of DH’s job in the summer, is air conditioning installation. Which, being in the northeast, isn’t a necessity. So if people can’t afford the necessities they won’t be installing anything 😩

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Prices are high here right now. I'm hoping to get in on that when I start selling. I originally planned on waiting till most of the babies were 10 weeks old - but I might sell a week or so earlier. People are trying to prepare for hard times and to do that a lot want animals. Newbies might not understand how important feed/hay prices are until they've fed animals for a while. Hopefully prices won't drop too much - but if so - I'll be eating animals instead of feeding animals. It all works.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Same here!!! And I understand, as @farmerjan says, gas and fertilizer prices are killer but must be passed along....plus making less due to those same costs! Add that to grains, THEN add increased transport costs. :th o_O. I'm really concerned.

Trust me, toilet paper won't be all we will be looking for very soon!
Yep FJ is a wealth of knowledge. She puts it into perspective and explains in simple to understand facts that can not be disputed.

Oil is up again today, so is wheat, but my pay is still the same.

Screenshot_20220304-154820.png

Latest posts