shortages

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We don't have a dishwasher. My wife got turned off seeing what kind of job the new ones do. I recall she said what's the use of having a dishwasher, if it doesn't get the dishes clean? I said I can't argue that one, not much sense there... So I guess if you have one that works and you are happy with it, keep it going as long as you can.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
NH just hit their highest average gas price ever. $4.07 for regular as of earlier today. I haven’t been by a gas station in a few days so not sure how bad it is by me.
I don't want to look anymore.

Edit... I looked

Southern IL

Screenshot_20220307-164207.png

Northern IL - up by Chicago
Screenshot_20220307-170110.png

Last edited:

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We don't have a dishwasher. My wife got turned off seeing what kind of job the new ones do. I recall she said what's the use of having a dishwasher, if it doesn't get the dishes clean? I said I can't argue that one, not much sense there... So I guess if you have one that works and you are happy with it, keep it going as long as you can.

We don't have one either, unless you count me ;)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I could use washing soda, but I recall it leaving water spots on dishes. I haven't been motivated to try to figure out how much citric acid or vinegar to include to prevent water spots. I think the dishwasher performs better without detergent than with washing soda.

I will probably just hand wash and use the dishwasher as a big drying rack until dishwasher detergent is back in stock.

i don't think you understood what i wrote. :) that's ok, perhaps i wasn't clear enough. you can use washing soda/laundry detergent at first to get the worst of the food gunk and grease off and then at the last bit use just a little of the dish detergent which is odor free and the kind that you prefer. so you're not using as much. this will stretch your limited supply even further if you get in a pinch.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I bought a portable one so that I could put the glass jars in to get hot/sterilized but don't expect to use it for normal dish washing. Come canning time it will be alot better to get the clean jars hot and ready... and I use alot of gallon glass jars for milk so it will allow me to get them a little more sanitary.... Been wanting one for awhile and bought it off a 92 yr old man that wanted to go into a assisted living situation where he didn't have to cook his own meals anymore... bless his heart. It is older but works pretty good.

tripletfeb

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do dishes also sometimes and anytime my wife asks. But sometimes I do them just to get my hands good and clean, depending on what I've been working on.

There was an Everybody Loves Raymond episode where Ray thought he was sick and said he needed to wash his hands better. Debra convinced him to do the dishes by hand and by the time he calmed down, the whole sink was cleaned🤣😂

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There was an Everybody Loves Raymond episode where Ray thought he was sick and said he needed to wash his hands better. Debra convinced him to do the dishes by hand and by the time he calmed down, the whole sink was cleaned🤣😂
Only one problem with doing the dishes. Once my hands hit that warm water, I gotta go pee. It happens every time. I've gotten better over the years. When I remember, I just stick my hands in the water, dry them off and go pee, then I'm good to go. It's when I forget and get a couple of dishes clean and gotta go pee like instantly, that it gets interesting. Then ofcourse my wife has to remind me I left a trail of soapy water from the kitchen sink to the bathroom 🙄