shortages

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is me too! Right there with you @Mini Horses! Thankful for all I have and yes my young/green SS lifestyle/mindset will push me through this ;) but agree I dont like it one bit and I do worry for those that havent prepared.

i don't worry about me as much as i worry for those being bombed and shot at.

i have it easy compared to them.

my whole life i have always lived as if the next moment i could leave. even right now. out the door and down the road. gone. i'm pretty sure my very young age and events were embedded into my psyche. i do not like change. i hate it. when we moved when i was four years old i hid under the counter where we kept the pots and pans. yes, i lived in the cupboard for months. i'd come out once in a while but i spent a lot of time in there. Mom asked some psychologist and he said i'd come out when i was ready. smart man. i've since then lived in a tiny attic without any issues. i didn't mind the smallness. back then i didn't know anything either about anything, i just knew that i didn't like change and i found a place where i felt ok. i'm sure that no matter what happens, i can do it again, over and over, because i've already done it at least a half dozen times not counting living on the road for a few years (in my car, tent camping and wandering around). i didn't have a home. i had a storage unit where i put my junk. most of it i still have. the car is gone though. yet i still don't feel trapped or annoyed. i guess. :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Up .20 from yesterday about this time. There's not one thing I can do about it other than continue to trust Almighty.
Screenshot_20220306-091453.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Fragrance free dishwasher detergent is out of stock just about everywhere, except for those willing to pay $1/pod. (not me!) I found some online that were marked up to $54 MILLION per 3 pound box. :lol:

Good thing I stocked up on dishwashing liquid! I only have 2 boxes left of dishwasher detergent (Since 2020 I have kept 6 on hand instead of 2, whoops!) I'll stretch it so it's there for DH. My secret is that only the most greasy dishes need detergent. I ran the dishwasher without detergent for months in 2020. It didn't get peanut butter off of dishes, but everything else came clean. :D Don't tell DH! :lol:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fragrance free dishwasher detergent is out of stock just about everywhere, except for those willing to pay $1/pod. (not me!) I found some online that were marked up to $54 MILLION per 3 pound box. :lol:

Good thing I stocked up on dishwashing liquid! I only have 2 boxes left of dishwasher detergent (Since 2020 I have kept 6 on hand instead of 2, whoops!) I'll stretch it so it's there for DH. My secret is that only the most greasy dishes need detergent. I ran the dishwasher without detergent for months in 2020. It didn't get peanut butter off of dishes, but everything else came clean. :D Don't tell DH! :lol:

there has to be other degreasers that will work, but we don't use pod anything here. i just have never lliked them plus Mom hasn't either and we wash our dishes by hand. the Lemon Ajax brand dishwashing soap is not too bad we dillute it down quite a ways before using it. we use a lot more of it than we really should but it's a bad habit we have and if it were really crunch time on that i'd have to wake up Mom a bit from her habits plus my own.

one way to use less dish soap would be to use laundry soap for the first major gunk cleaning and then right near the end use a bit of dish soap to remove any residue from the laundry soap that you don't like.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fuel prices have been killing me with all the trips back and forth I've made in moving. At least when I find a farm, it won't be so darn far away! It makes me angry, but I don't give much tine to it. There's nothing I can do about it anyway. For me, it's finding my farm. I won't feel really good until I've got that nailed down. I don't want to keep sitting on the side of a highway with only an acre under fence for my sheep and dogs. No garden here, no point in it. I'm looking!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
there has to be other degreasers that will work, but we don't use pod anything here. i just have never lliked them plus Mom hasn't either and we wash our dishes by hand. the Lemon Ajax brand dishwashing soap is not too bad we dillute it down quite a ways before using it. we use a lot more of it than we really should but it's a bad habit we have and if it were really crunch time on that i'd have to wake up Mom a bit from her habits plus my own.

one way to use less dish soap would be to use laundry soap for the first major gunk cleaning and then right near the end use a bit of dish soap to remove any residue from the laundry soap that you don't like.
I could use washing soda, but I recall it leaving water spots on dishes. I haven't been motivated to try to figure out how much citric acid or vinegar to include to prevent water spots. I think the dishwasher performs better without detergent than with washing soda.

I will probably just hand wash and use the dishwasher as a big drying rack until dishwasher detergent is back in stock.

Latest posts