shortages

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Aldi egg supply and price!
Crazy! Not surprising when they had to kill millions of birds though!

Thank goodness my girls started laying! 4/day - just about all the eggs I can use.

I'm still thinking about adding 4 more chicks this year. 😬 Hens dont lay forever!

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Generic eggs are $1.65/dozen at Walmart here currently
Just went online for Walmart to check here. Only kind available are organic and cage free, everything is out of stock!

1649178433978.png

1649178462051.png

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Crazy! Not surprising when they had to kill millions of birds though!

Thank goodness my girls started laying! 4/day - just about all the eggs I can use.

I'm still thinking about adding 4 more chicks this year. 😬 Hens dont lay forever!
Mine too, I get about 7 a day. Right now I have to throw out the one from the girl on antibiotics but we are still ahead. I just froze a dozen and have 18 in the cellar water glassing. I suspect next spring is when mine will slow down. I hope to get us through this winter and then look at getting new birds next year. I wanted to add this year but with the avian flu I am not going to chance my original hens getting sick, McMurray just had an announcement that they had the avian flu in one of their barns and farm site so high bio security measures or not it isn't worth the risk to me.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Mine too, I get about 7 a day. Right now I have to throw out the one from the girl on antibiotics but we are still ahead. I just froze a dozen and have 18 in the cellar water glassing. I suspect next spring is when mine will slow down. I hope to get us through this winter and then look at getting new birds next year. I wanted to add this year but with the avian flu I am not going to chance my original hens getting sick, McMurray just had an announcement that they had the avian flu in one of their barns and farm site so high bio security measures or not it isn't worth the risk to me.
oh wow, unfortunate that Murray McMurray got hit. :( I was going to buy from the farm store, but heck, maybe I'll skip this year. My hens are in their first year of laying. I don't need to replace them for a couple years anyway

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
re: avian flu egg shortage

CDC reports >17,303,900 layer hens affected in March 2022 (out of 22,851,072 birds affected in this outbreak). Most recent population count I found was 385 million layers in the US in Oct 2021 so it's not a huge amount of the egg layer population (yet?). Seems that egg supply is overall not as bad as it looks in the store. ..unless people start panic buying eggs 😏

Don't forget it's Easter season and everyone buys extra eggs to dye :) Egg demand peaks in the last week of March and drops off in April and May. The price normally goes up mid-March too. Here's data from last year to compare: https://mymarketnews.ams.usda.gov/f...les/2806/2021-04-28/443200/ams_2806_00062.pdf