shortages

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Golden harvest lid
So we went through the canning books independently, wrote down our preferences, and compared lists.
The project manager in me now has the start of a plan to execute. Lol
Moving this to the canning thread

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No garden for me this year. Moving, knee replacement and dumb little things like that are an impediment to a garden. At least I have stuff in jars to tide me over.
Get in the new place, go to a farmers market and get some stuff that you really are getting down on and get canned before the knee replacement.. and there is always stocking up on sales at the groc store... which I still find stuff at "reasonable" prices at our discount Sharp Shopper store... although more than they were, still priced so I can buy 12 or more at a time.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Get in the new place, go to a farmers market and get some stuff that you really are getting down on and get canned before the knee replacement.. and there is always stocking up on sales at the groc store... which I still find stuff at "reasonable" prices at our discount Sharp Shopper store... although more than they were, still priced so I can buy 12 or more at a time.
I agree 100%. I didn't have a garden last year and almost gave up on canning. But then I found some awesome roadside produce stands with excellent prices. One of them takes requests for large orders, which was awesome. I was able to put some jars up anyway. It was good for my soul, if nothing else!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree 100%. I didn't have a garden last year and almost gave up on canning. But then I found some awesome roadside produce stands with excellent prices. One of them takes requests for large orders, which was awesome. I was able to put some jars up anyway. It was good for my soul, if nothing else!

sometimes if you know a grower and can work it out you can pick up bushels of splits or seconds or odd shapes for tomatoes on the same day they pick them for a great price. we had some friends who had a large tomato patch when i was a kid and after he had picked through he'd call us to come pick what he didn't want to use. never hurts to ask has always been my motto. :)

i'd do the same thing here for the large strawberry patches here when i had them (before the deer ate them all), once i'd picked and put up as many as i could fit in the freezer then i could call friends and have them come finish picking anything they wanted. it was always great to see them leave with boxes and boxes of fresh strawberries. some offered to pay but i never wanted to take $. good things paid forwards IMO.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

stuff happens. there's a lot of places. check out how many recycling places burn. it's not a conspiracy, it's just the fact that some things people throw away cause fires and they didn't design the places to prevent fires.

put idiots in charge of running places or don't have security or monitoring or other fire prevention and sprinklers installed and guess what happens? fires. oops.

i'm sure some are targeted attacks by people who want to cause damage, but you could go on and on about other things that are very intentional that the world does not ever need (wars, environmental destruction, etc.) and that would be much more fitting to point at.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sure, stuff happens. Take it any way you want to. Accident? On purpose for some nefarious reason? Don’t know. Don’t care. I won’t waste my time obsessing over it. What I WILL do is make sure me and mine are well stocked up for whatever reason. Even the President himself has publicly stated food shortages are coming.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sure, stuff happens. Take it any way you want to. Accident? On purpose for some nefarious reason? Don’t know. Don’t care. I won’t waste my time obsessing over it. What I WILL do is make sure me and mine are well stocked up for whatever reason. Even the President himself has publicly stated food shortages are coming.

that's why i garden...

it has never taken a President to tell me what to do. at the same time i wonder how many American's have actually changed how much food they waste.

my recent experience is that most people are not going to do anything about it (aka work on a garden) but will spend at least the same amount of energy on complaining. and no, i'm not feeling all warm and fuzzy this morning. can you tell? :( *grump* heh...

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Food waste is an issue. Many perfectly good, slight damaged, veggies are tossed and could be used by simple trimming up. I even use the trims to feed livestock! Many veggie peels....compost or feed, make stock, etc. Combine small quantities of various veg and when enough, make soup. When you have surplus, preserve in some way for "later"...dehydrate, freeze, can. Plus my chickens and goats love bread, cereal, so no waste, even stale.

In FL some farms used to open fields for public savage after they harvested. Plenty of off sized and/or slightly ripened tomatoes, small potatoes, etc. All fine and tasty...and free!

Not everyone can or wants to garden. Takes space and a LOT of work! Although a couple pots on a patio can produce well if cared for. 👍😊