shortages

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
So I posted in another thread, we have 20 dozen lids, 15 dozen jars. Wife is gently nudging me to consider buying more of both. How much is too much? How much is not enough?

It's just the two of us. A lot of any veggie canning will be done in pints (enough for a single meal). Looking for input

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So I posted in another thread, we have 20 dozen lids, 15 dozen jars. Wife is gently nudging me to consider buying more of both. How much is too much? How much is not enough?

It's just the two of us. A lot of any veggie canning will be done in pints (enough for a single meal). Looking for input
It's so nice to open a jar and have dinner or supper. Hoping for many jars of both cabbage and onion soup, we like them both 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
@FarmerJamie I think it might depend on how much of what you grow in your new plot you will want to can. I always buy more than I will need. I always end up getting more food from someone that needs to be canned ;)

This year especially, I have more than I need.
We have a great farmer's market uptown (a friend is one of the growers) for extra produce. Now that I have convinced the wife the pressure canner won't blow up the house, she wants to can everything and then some. We agreed to set some time aside with no distractions, to look through my canning recipe books to get a list together.

I am wavering on how many jars/lids we should have on hand above and beyond that stuff.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Canned foods last more than a year. So a little insurance for --??whatever. Is DW excited with caning or worried about supplies? I consider a little stash of food is $$ in the bank! With the strange shortages lately, we're all in a prepper mood. :love

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Canned foods last more than a year. So a little insurance for --??whatever. Is DW excited with caning or worried about supplies? I consider a little stash of food is $$ in the bank! With the strange shortages lately, we're all in a prepper mood. :love
Supply worries...to the extreme we've had words over it. 😞

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Grow and can! It will help settle her concerns. :loveonce she sees it happening, you'll see some softening of pressure. If you use 2 cans a day...that's 14 a week max....only winter as you use fresh in season. Roughly 50 pints a month x 6 months. Are you there? Have her figure it....something to do.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score

They have 1 year storage life, according to manufacturer. I have used much older lids successfully, but different climates/storage conditions might not fare as well.

I like to plan food preservation in advance. It gives me a good idea of how many lids to collect. If I like a batch tomato sauce twice per week in cold weather, then I should can 50 quarts, for example. And then I usually reduce my amounts by half because I'm not a consistent cook/eater.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have a great farmer's market uptown (a friend is one of the growers) for extra produce. Now that I have convinced the wife the pressure canner won't blow up the house, she wants to can everything and then some. We agreed to set some time aside with no distractions, to look through my canning recipe books to get a list together.

I am wavering on how many jars/lids we should have on hand above and beyond that stuff.
I would say 5 dozen in reserve not accounted for