shortages

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
My ex MIL was an iffy canner. Some of her attempts scared me. Clearing out the house during the divorce process, I threw her stuff out. Her own daughter refused to eat the stuff she had given us.

We've been eating on the canned stuff more than I realized. I have 7 empty clean jars to put back into jar storage.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I steam juice grapes and according to instructions, decanted into sterilized jars it just needs a lid and ring with no further processing. Granted that's the instructions from the 60s but how we made and drank grape juice for decades.

I don't like almost all store grape juice because it doesn't taste right. Too sweet since many brands do use concentrated grape juice to sweeten. There's an expensive one that is just concord grape juice I do like.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you follow the instructions in the Ball canning book, that shouldnt happen. I always sterilize my jars in the dish washer before use. Never have gotten sick from anythjng I canned.
Now.......the canned stuff from the store......🤢
i wash them and then put em in the oven at 220 while im working. they come out warm and dry.

if ive already used the jars i wash them, and then boil them in water with vinegar to remove any hard water deposits and then bake at 220. we have REALLY hard water and it keeps them clear as new.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And I’ve read things about not keeping the ring on your jars long term because if your tab pops sometimes the pressure from the ring causes it to reseal itself. Causing a “false seal”.

Is this accurate information or is it just the internet trying to scare me?
its a saftety step, just incase. i dont bother with jellies or high acid foods but anything pressure canned i remove the ring.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Also do your best to follow the recipes on the USDA, Ball or similar sites. Your Extension office would be a good resource to. Modified recipes can be the ones that go bad. Don't trust everything on recipes sites or Pinterest (if you are I to those things)
100%!

avoid any recipe or technique related to "rebel canners"

I make my own recipes sometimes, but I test the pH.