CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
IMG_20220422_110811038~2.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Getting farm labor has become an issue. Racism doesn't help there. Or stupidity because most of them are first generation US residents. "They're taking jobs from real Americans." Fools. Farm work is hard on the body and the vast majority of people won't do it. They see manual labor as below them anyway, which is why there are shortages in many trades as well. That hard on the body part is why it's usually first generation residents. Their kids have the education to get better jobs that aren't as detrimental.

It's mostly the same at the big slaughterhouses. Friend of mine work at a chicken one for almost a year once when he was down on his luck. He has horror stories. He also won't touch chicken anymore. But he did say if he ever visited, he'd try one of mine.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Getting farm labor has become an issue. Racism doesn't help there. Or stupidity because most of them are first generation US residents. "They're taking jobs from real Americans." Fools. Farm work is hard on the body and the vast majority of people won't do it. They see manual labor as below them anyway, which is why there are shortages in many trades as well. That hard on the body part is why it's usually first generation residents. Their kids have the education to get better jobs that aren't as detrimental.

It's mostly the same at the big slaughterhouses. Friend of mine work at a chicken one for almost a year once when he was down on his luck. He has horror stories. He also won't touch chicken anymore. But he did say if he ever visited, he'd try one of mine.
I could not agree more. Agriculture is hard work, usually uncomfortable work, and often dangerous. Most Americans are so far removed that they have no idea. Big Ag has been unstable, too many eggs in too few baskets. Too much monoculture. Too much petroleum. The whole thing can come crashing down in so many ways. It has always scared me.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Neighbor is getting the equipment out of the barn. He fertilized last week, it's fixing to become corn cob around here again, pretty soon.

My neighbor is one of the nicest guys you would ever meet. He keeps offering to help me, but I keep saying only if I absolutely need you. His wife is a sweetheart and their young children are adorable. Even their pup is great, their pup (mini) comes to visit me every single day.

My neighbor told me earlier this week. I'm ready to be busy again, Thank God spring is finally here.

My observation... Farming is HARD WORK, Long Hours, Little Pay, Can Be Dangerous, Not Easy. If it were easy, everyone would be a farmer.

IMG_20220422_154136810_HDR~2.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
6 more doz pints, 1 doz quart, and 1 doz 1/4 pints to make some orange honey sauce thingy she wants
6 doz reg lids, 4 pack of food saver rolls, some canning spices, and a set of zippered food saver bags.
See what happens when I take the wife to the store with me.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
6 more doz pints, 1 doz quart, and 1 doz 1/4 pints to make some orange honey sauce thingy she wants
6 doz reg lids, 4 pack of food saver rolls, some canning spices, and a set of zippered food saver bags.
See what happens when I take the wife to the store with me.
Woo Hoo - That should hold you for a week or so, lol!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Take her shopping again. I like how she thinks 😁
Oh, and I actually ended up talking to two individuals about canning while the wife was looking at the full variety.

The staffer at the exit checking receipts was the same one a few weeks ago when I rolled out with a huge quart jar stash. I told him then I was making soup. Last night he looked and asked if I was making more soup. Lolol