shortages

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Below is the list of America’s 95 plants that have been destroyed, damaged or impacted by “accidental fires,” disease, or general causes.

6/9/22 Irrigation water was canceled in California (the #1 producer of food in the US) and storage water flushed directly out to the delta.

anyone who knows the CA water system would understand that mentions of water "being flushed" out to the delta are talking points of ignorant or purposely deceptive people.

the delta near San Fran has rivers coming in from the north and the south and is a bay on the ocean. which means if any of the rivers are not flowing enough there is a risk of mixing fresh water and salt water.

since the delta is also acting as a fresh water transfer system from north to south if you mix too much salt water in there that means all the water will be too full of salt to be used for irrigation. did you ever see what salt does to farm land? oh yes, that water is also used for drinking water in the south too so it has to be clean enough for that too. too much salt in drinking water also does have some health consequences. there are times when they are pumping so much water to ship water south that the rivers that normally flow south to north are instead flowing south. this plays havoc with salmon and other fish migrations (to the tune of most of the salmon now not surviving and they're having to transport the young salmon so they have a chance of surviving).

of course they could replumb the delta to bypass the bay which would avoid such problems but then the issue becomes one of them having less fresh water in the delta which would change that ecosystem entirely. costing billions of $ too. they're trying to do this project anyways, but most people with some sense in their heads know that such a change just invites further ecological damage because once you start pumping water around then it costs too much to not use such infrastructure and people will complain that if you don't use it that you've wasted $. dammed if you do and dammed if you don't (puns intended).

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And that’s how companies get around paying out unemployment, by offering a job somewhere else. Maybe since it is so far away, people were able to refuse to move and still be able to draw unemployment. It usually isn’t that much, but better than nothing while searching for a job.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
CA freshwater management practices and regs are dysfunctional at best.

much of it is historical and getting done what they could do with the least cost.

most of the water rights are based upon hundreds of years of legal precedents - mix in the environmental needs and it gets to be a pretty complex system. that doesn't get fixed easily.

extended droughts expose how fragile farming is in an arid climate - you can throw billions of dollars at projects and trying to fix things or you can throw billions of dollars at more sustainable methods and that's more likely a better approach for the longer term.

it is pretty likely that the current newer reservoir they're working on adding to the system will be mostly wasted $.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'd cross off all the avian flu culls. 2015 was worse and the market was unaffected. Granted, in 2015 more meat birds were affected and fewer egg layers - egg layers are slower to recover. But, if you look at the percent of the total egg layer population it's not much.

Drought and western water + diesel price + fertilizer are the pieces that are most concerning to me. Western water affects most grocery store produce, drought diesel and fertilizer affect grain production, and that affects meat production.

Cheap and plenty era is over.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yesterday evening
IMG_20220612_193732321_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220612_193935725_HDR.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yesterday evening
View attachment 19179
View attachment 19181

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

:hit:hit:barnie:he:ep:th

How would you like to run the card twice for $150 each time; diesel; like we did on the trip to NH for the work in my parents house with settling the estate... at ONE fillup? DS figured we spent nearly $1150 just in fuel because we took the flat bed trailer to bring home the backhoe that DS bought from the estate. The dually 1 ton truck to handle the heavy trailer and the backhoe... but getting it brought down was going to cost nearly 2,000.... ONE WAY......

Gas here is still 4.69 but don't expect that to last more than a few more days if that...

Did anyone see where the stock market lost nearly 900 points today? If that doesn't make you realize we are headed for some serious hard times nothing will.....

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:hit:hit:barnie:he:ep:th

How would you like to run the card twice for $150 each time; diesel; like we did on the trip to NH for the work in my parents house with settling the estate... at ONE fillup? DS figured we spent nearly $1150 just in fuel because we took the flat bed trailer to bring home the backhoe that DS bought from the estate. The dually 1 ton truck to handle the heavy trailer and the backhoe... but getting it brought down was going to cost nearly 2,000.... ONE WAY......

Gas here is still 4.69 but don't expect that to last more than a few more days if that...

Did anyone see where the stock market lost nearly 900 points today? If that doesn't make you realize we are headed for some serious hard times nothing will.....

it wasn't that long ago that the market was at similar levels. the market goes up and it goes down... not that it doesn't matter, it does matter, but if you've been in the market to begin with this sort of change isn't new and it won't be the end of the earth.

people just got too complacent with cheap money and many years of cheap money built up a lot of inflation that was going to come out sooner or later. real-estate was just a part of it, but eventually that comes down to everything else too. change isn't easy, we're on the cusp of a lot of changes and that makes people worried. worried people start tightening up their spending. recession follows, interest rates go down again, etc. it's the same old economic cycle wrapped in new invsible clothes. i'm just glad i never got into the bitcoin nonsense.

yes, if there are bargains to be had i'll pick some up, i have my eye on a few companies and also the companies i already own shares of i may add more to. we'll see. i don't know if this is the bottom or not, nobody really does IMO, hard to time the market exactly. that's why regular investing makes the most sense for the longer haul, if you're buying on a regular basis then you're going to be hitting some of the lows...