shortages

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lucky me...black coffee 😊. But I do use cream in my hot tea. Yeah, I'd just dump some in, too :lol: instead, goats to milk. Some don't have that option & for many yrs, neither did I.

If I had access to freeze dryer.....🤔what thoughts!

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So sorry!
That's nice of you :) but it happens.

We'll build the flock back up and do something better to secure them at night. Probably some type of automatic door closer. IDK... need to research what's out there. I don't want chickens if they can't free range the 56 x 106 fenced yard we have for them. Personally, I would like a new pup and build him a house in the chicken yard to sleep in at night. I found out yesterday, my hunting dog is 13 1/2 years old now, that's old for a dog.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter Oh no! I am sorry to hear that you lost all the chickens!
Nice of you to say that - thanks 👍 completely my fault, I forgot to close them up last night. I need to come up with something that's not solely dependent on me for security.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can let mine out to free range once the sun is well up. They also must be locked in at night. They have to deal with just the chainlink run if we go somewhere.

The silkies have a fenced courtyard because they cannot be allowed to truly free range being feather blind. They are masters of running into grass and staying perfectly still. That works very well for the partridge color and they pretty much vanish.

Fixit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
On making the powdered buttermilk . No freeze dryer here. This is basiclly my version of an Amish corn dryer.
I take a chafin dish set put water in the deep pan and line the shallow pan with silicon cooking mats . Pour a gallon of buttermilk in the top pan and set this on the wood heater. The water in the bottom pan should be deep enough that the top pan floats a little when you start. The water keeps the top pan from getting so hot that the buttermilk burns. On my heater it takes about 24 hours to do a gallon of buttermilk. You will end up with a thin solid mass that the blender will turn into powder.
You can use this on all kinds of drying projects . The first time I did this was 12 year old strawberries . They were mush and I needed to free up some jars. I now have strawberry powder to use in muffins and other baked good or in drink mixes.

Fixit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Where the pan idea came from