shortages

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use celery seed in some things. Can NOT stand the texture of celery... just can't manage it but like the flavor in some things. I use celery seed in my coleslaw sometimes too....
Read somewhere that drinking celery juice is supposed to help with weight loss... trying to find maybe some capsules as I cannot manage that much of a taste of celery.... my mom used to love to eat it.... it just does not "work" for me... like some people with the texture of mushrooms or okra....

so you probably are not much on the other crunchy stalk vegetables either? (like fennel or broccoli or ?) the real weight loss part of celery and many other vegetables are that they are mostly water and not as high calorie as many other foods. if you eat a lot of vegetables before you eat a main course you can often reduce the size of the main course (reducing calories). i don't think celery capsules would really accomplish much other than perhaps a mind-over-matter effect (it reminds you to not eat too much) or a placebo effect. nothing wrong with any of that as long as it works for you. :)

for me it has always been eating too many sweets and not moving enough during the winter so i have to cut calories until spring returns and i can get back outside into the gardens. whatever exercise i can do during the winter is good for me but it just doesn't compare in broad terms to what i get done outside.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Maybe it is something in the celery that makes me feel sick... never thought about the fact that they do use celery in some of the "natural cure" meats and such...

I do eat broccoli but not much raw.. I do eat raw peppers like in dips and on sandwiches... so it is not the crunch so much...Love broccoli cooked and peppers sauteed but not as stuffed peppers...but then I am not much on meat loaf anyway ( or the stuffing in peppers)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
...I do eat broccoli but not much raw.. I do eat raw peppers like in dips and on sandwiches... so it is not the crunch so much...Love broccoli cooked and peppers sauteed but not as stuffed peppers...but then I am not much on meat loaf anyway ( or the stuffing in peppers)

i much prefer sliced meats and lightly cooked peppers vs. ground up meat and stuff put into peppers and baked. i like things on the more firm side too, but i can eat mushy cauliflower if i have to.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I went to Groveton today to pay property taxes. I went to the chain grocery store, headquartered in Lufkin. I never shop there, it’s too high. But this one stuck out in a tiny town with no other options was extremely high. Since I was as already there, only wanted a few things and it was not worth a trip to Lufkin.I bought a gallon of milk, a quart of cream, a dozen eggs and a box of Wheat Thins crackers. Total was $34 and some change.

They should change their name to Stop and Rob.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow!!!

Milk.....5
Cream 4
Eggs. 6
Thins. 5

And that is $20.....ck that receipt! You paid for guy in front, too. :lol:

But....I always LOOK at prices when in a store. Today, food lion, 18 free range brown eggs...8.99!!

Really? Hope my friends appreciate my free gifts to them! No one buys them feed. One does give me about 15# of figs ea yr....need to get more this year. 🤔

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I never shop this grocery store chain, even in Lufkin. But I was already in Groveton, it would be 30 miles to Lufkin and just not worth it. I caught the crud from 15 year old granddaughter. That reminds me, I also got a box of store brand imitation Musinex for $10. The cream was $7. Terrible prices.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I went to Groveton today to pay property taxes. I went to the chain grocery store, headquartered in Lufkin. I never shop there, it’s too high. But this one stuck out in a tiny town with no other options was extremely high. Since I was as already there, only wanted a few things and it was not worth a trip to Lufkin.I bought a gallon of milk, a quart of cream, a dozen eggs and a box of Wheat Thins crackers. Total was $34 and some change.

They should change their name to Stop and Rob.

what they don't get via volume they have to make up in prices. it costs a lot of $ to keep a place open...