shortages

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I drink soft drinks rarely...like maybe once or twice a year a drink. But YES prices are way, way up.

Of course, predicted to be a 6-8% overall on groc this year and some things as much as 10-12%. Dairy, meats, etc. On higher end. As we all know, grow and preserve all you can to reduce buying. Home cook.

It's bad and getting worse. But I feel ok because of things I don't consume, my farm production -- eggs, dairy, garden, poultry & goat. This is true for many of us. Consider where you are and where you can improve. 😊

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Routine surplus and price reductions. Don't know if it's just a result of paying closer attention or not, but I am seeing ads locally for huge bulk discounts on random food stuff. I get loss leader strategies and the like, but this feels different.

@tortoise do have any idea where I could find a monthly peak produce chart? Like cranberries end of year, transition of old potato stock to new crop in early fall?

Last edited:

Sammster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow. Soft drinks are very expensive now, regardless of brand, packaging, reg/diet. Scaled way back before the end of last year, only a once in a while treat now when out (like on campus at work). Drinking either plain water or iced tea.

I didn't realize how bad it has gotten. Easy to cut something out of your diet if you are too cheap to spend the dollars. Lol

But I do miss my diet Dr Pepper a bit.
I had to cut my Zevia out of my diet, too 😢

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Routine surplus and price reductions. Don't know if it's just a result of paying closer attention or not, but I am seeing ads locally for huge bulk discounts on random food stuff. I get loss leader strategies and the like, but this feels different.

@tortoise do have any idea where I could find a monthly peak produce chart? Like cranberries end of year, transition of old potato stock to new crop in early fall?
I don't think the yearly charts are helpful- too generalized. Ther week-to-week changes are due to weather patterns, and changing from old to new crop or between regions is based on supply, demand, and weather. But here's a decent one https://snaped.fns.usda.gov/seasonal-produce-guide

My fave resource is this market report https://www.freshpoint.com/produce-essentials/freshpress-weekly-market-report/

It gives 1-2 weeks warning before transitions and shows longer-term trends too.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What always amazes me is the cost of pitiful old dried beans. Forever they have been the cheap, poor man's food.....even tho packed with vitamins, protein, fiber, etc....used to get them 29 cent a pound. Now???o_O Geesh 1.59-2.59 a pound. 😁

Like the pasta...what? Really? Surprising!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The pellet feed I buy has jumped from $9 to $14 in a year. I’m glad I bought this 25 acres, now to get it all fenced…… the sheep and goat wire has practically doubled in a year. From $240 for a 330’ roll to $420 (last time I checked)

I just checked price— it has stayed the same at $420.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Same here. Feed I use is $19 a bag 😟. Fence about the as there -- tooo expensive! The alf/orch hay is killer, too.