shortages

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that grain elevator that burned is still smouldering as they dig it out and remove the corn. now that it is getting warmer it's going to be a smelly mess if it ferments... plenty of rain coming too. oy! too bad we don't have some big chick'ns that can come in and hoover that stuff up instead of having to truck it all around...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
that grain elevator that burned is still smouldering as they dig it out and remove the corn. now that it is getting warmer it's going to be a smelly mess if it ferments... plenty of rain coming too. oy! too bad we don't have some big chick'ns that can come in and hoover that stuff up instead of having to truck it all around...
Pigs.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Farm babe said I need new jeans. I already knew that because they are falling off my buttock even with belt cinched up tight. But she said I need new ones because the crotch is ripped in a few pairs, others with holes, etc... Rips and holes don't bother me none. she buys all my other clothes, but she won't buy jeans. Don't ask me, I have no idea...

So at rural king tonight, they proudly displayed Levi Jeans $59.99 😲 but rural king brand $11.99 😁. Sometimes they go on sale for $9.99.
IMG_20230322_193104369.jpg

I don't need no fancy $60.00 jeans for working around the farm. I would be self conscious and probably wouldn't get anything done. So I picked up 2 pairs of rural king jeans. It's what I wear daily around the farm anyways. I guess I'll buy a pair or two of good jeans for going to town, which we rarely do anymore, so maybe I won't. I also need some new coveralls though.

Sticking to my doctor's plan, was a huge change, but is now normal. The results are starting to kick in.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My son was at Rural King and picked up several pairs on a discount table for $5.00 each. Hey, I couldn't buy the zipper let alone the fabric to make them if I was inclined to... NOPE..... and DOUBLE NOPE for paying $60 for a pair of jeans... Rural King brand is just fine... new is new and if they fit, don't care what the name on the label.
I buy most all of mine at Goodwill.... cows don't care what name is on the label or the pocket....

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Eggs....local farmers are having their youngest hens coming into production. Wife was baffled by the oddly shaped/elongated eggs this last purchase. Explained to her why I thought it was happening. All good.

Now to find my forever home so I can have my own layers again

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I buy most all of mine at Goodwill.... cows don't care what name is on the label or the pocket....

i'm ok with that too. i haven't needed dress clothes in eons but when i do i don't want to spend a lot of money on them since it is very unlikely i'll wear them often.

i have a ton of old hand-me-downs that i'll use for gardening or ambling around the house and they're fine for that. we joke about how bad some of our shirts look when we finally do throw them away or put them in the rag box, but considerig a lot of these clothes come to us for nearly free it's fine with me.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have some 20 y/o jeans that aren't as ragged as some of the "new" ones you buy all cut up! 🥴,🤣

Fabric back then was made to last. In my fabric stockpiles are some heavy flannels that you can't even buy now, just thin stuff. Quality back then. Now it's a wear & toss society....and not just clothes.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My son was at Rural King and picked up several pairs on a discount table for $5.00 each. Hey, I couldn't buy the zipper let alone the fabric to make them if I was inclined to... NOPE..... and DOUBLE NOPE for paying $60 for a pair of jeans... Rural King brand is just fine... new is new and if they fit, don't care what the name on the label.
Goodwill - that's a great idea! Now that my waist is down into a more common size. I might be able to find some used pairs. Simply can't justify $60.00 jeans.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been building more fence. Yesterday I pulled barbwire for about 3/4 of an acre, cattle isolation pen. Since it's up close to the house. I'll use it for corn finishing steers, for calving and maybe a bull pen. Although I have another pasture where I could house the bull. So far he's being a tame gentleman but one may never know with bulls and hormones.

For the fence I pulled up 6 1/2 foot newer t-posts the previous owner pounded in for electric wire for horses. Every t-posts I pulled, I couldn't help but think to myself, there's $5.79 rural king or $7.64 home Depot won't get from me. It made pulling those t-posts all that much more enjoyable 😁

I need to finish clipping the barb wire to the t-post, but it's raining. However this too shall pass.

Latest posts