Should There Be More?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Does anyone else get these feelings of "there should be more"?

Like I am not doing enough in this world to make it better....simply surviving more and more to make ends meet, forgetting about the others who need help, the animals that could use some help, the earth that could use some support?

I go thru the paces everyday, give tons to my family to be sure they are happy, do my little "church events", "kid events" at school, do some nice deeds for parents and friends etc. Have fun myself of course...lol

But then I see something like the show "Whale Wars" where people are so dedicated to saving the whales, they give up their homelife etc. to follow their passion. Or I see people giving alot of their time to something like "Homes for Habitat" for my area.....where they somehow don't need to spend most of their time making money to survive. I guess I feel like the financial situation, if I ever slow down, could get ahead of me....putting that almighty dollar before other things in life.

I don't know.

Seeing what other people do in life, how they find a passion to attack in life and enjoy, to make things better for animals, people or organizations that help people, etc. etc. just makes me wonder if there isn't that 'project' out there where I could fit in and truly be more useful on this earth....and give me that sense of satisfaction and fulfillment other than knowing I am taking care of my family.

Hmmm...I don't know...just rambling out some thoughts....birthday tomorrow and I will be 48 and I am listening to Christmas carols on the radio while typing, and that song came on that says, "what have you done in a year from the last christmas"----I know, I vague but I can't remember the song, haha, and I just heard it...LOL...but it makes me think, yea in one year looking back what did I do to say, WOW! I am a big participant and not just a watcher on this earth...HMMM.......maybe too deep for 7 am for me..HA HA HA

hope that post makes sense..lol....just thinking about in a year what I did and it doesn't seem like much for some reason....even though I know every minute was jammed packed with action and not enough time....lol

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
karen,

It is easy to feel lost in the mundaneness of everyday life. Just remember that the life experience you are providing for your child (Nicole, is it?) is an adventure of great dedication. Maybe making cookies with her isn't so thrilling as saving whales, but it is a memory for her that will last her entire lifetime. How cool is that??!! I'm afraid the whales will never appreciate your efforts as much ;-)

Someday she will leave, and your life may take another turn.

But until then - rejoice! - because parenthood is a rollercoaster ride and will keep you challenged and growing.

Inchworm

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If you saw the rest of those people's lives, you would probably be very surprised about what they have neglected along the way to "follow their passion". Noone can do it all, fervently and obsessively driven, without missing a few very important items along the way.

Taking care of one's family and neighbors, being helpful and kind, taking care to keep one's own environment as clean as possible is helping the big picture, I'm sure. I believe it to be so, or I would not continue to carry on this "mundane" life that will never be televised or lauded as great or passionate.

FC, I don't think you really know how many people you touch with your efforts and service to your family and friends, your advice, your good, cheerful spirit and your love. If everyone that performs their life in such a manner would suddenly STOP, the world would be utter and total chaos! THEN, someone may make a program about the handful of people who are still "passionate" about being a good servant, a good mother, a good friend, a good provider for the family!

What you do, if you do it with all your heart, is a very important, integral, vibrant part of the smooth running of this nation, this planet even. I think everyone on this forum displays the want, the need, to make this world better....one acre at a time, one household at a time, one day at a time.

Don't sell yourself short on your own heroics! Most of the really significant, giving acts of this world are performed quietly and unsung.... may you continue being passionate about your family, your friends, your church, your own little life!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Well said Bee - There is not much that can be added. I will say time well spent with your child will be seen many lifetimes from now. You will teach her, she will teach her children and on and on it flows. In your daily life you are giving Nicole something so many of the children of this world don't have at all. A mother who actually cares. What could possibly be a greater deed?

angie68

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Karen,
I often ask myself the same question, and I vow to do more the next year, but I feel like we all have our purpose on earth. I think if we do our part in the community that we are in, this is our part.

If you were single, with no family and didn't get involved in church events, i'd say you needed to go out and save the world, but you are like me, you have a family to tend to.

I think if every person had your views and did what they could right in front of them, there would'nt be alot of needs in the world.

I despise to see people look and search hard around the holidays for a family to adopt and help when they have rubbed elbows all year with a family that is in need, but they fail to see this.

My father always taught me charity starts at home! This to me means my town and community in which I am a part of.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree with the whole Christmas thing....when opportunities arise to help throughout the year, this is the time to help! I know Christmas is especially tough financially for a lot of people, myself included, but there are always people in need and my church sometimes sees it, sometimes they do not. Actually, I think its mainly because I'm the poorest person IN my church and they are so very blessed financially and have been for most of their lives, that they aren't really trained to see need....you know, the whole, having walked in someone's shoes thingy! :/

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Karen...I do know what you mean and in some ways I feel the same.

I also think that in each season of our lives there are different opportunities that we have to choose from. Right now your time is more focused on your little on and life on the farm. I find it so difficult to put my family aside in order to do for others.

I have always wanted to volunteer my time to do something with kids (always dreamed of a children's community garden actually ) Now that my kids are older I am heavily involved in Pop Warner, I run the cheer program. I believe in it and it is a good outlet for kids to learn more than cheer. My program includes developing leadership skills, good sportsmanship, cooperation, and personal accountability. I think that I have a positive impact on these kids and my kids are all involved. My son plays football, my 6 yr old cheers and my two teenage DDs (who are high school cheerleaders) volunteer countless hours working with my cheerleaders. At this point the whole family is getting something out of my project so it is well worth the time I spend.

When Nichole gets older doors will open and opportunities to invest in others will present themselves and when it is right and will have a positive impact on your family rather than taking too much time away, well, you will know :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I agree with Bee! If you could see the whole picture you may not be so impressed with some of these folks. I know there are people who put their kids in daycare all day to 'follow their dreams'....and trust me that is not about making a living!

As I said in my previous post, I think it is about the right project at the right time in your life...being there for your family and friends is actually quite heroic and as Bee said will never be a story featured on TV because it is not what our society wants to watch. They don't want to hear about sacrifice they want thrills. :rant

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I like to believe that the little things people do are like planting seeds They may not seem to amount to much when you put them into the ground and cover them up, but they grow into big provisions, and if you walk away you may never see what they grew into, but someone will and it will help them immensly. Nothing is too small if it is done from the heart.

I took a two day "break" from my family this last couple of days and went to an old beat up motel to cry and try to make sense of alot of things...and to seek God's purpose for my life. To seek God in general, whom I seem to have gotten so far away from in this life lately. Anyway...speaking of seeds...the owners of the motel happened to be Christians and lent me a couple of awesome Joyce Meyer books to read while I was there...just a small gesture that helped immensely...and wouldn't you know it...the guy in the room next door..who I could hear clearly through the wall...was playing Gaither Family gospel...and I KNEW without a doubt that God really was there with me. Another small seed to confirm something I really needed to know. Where are you Lord? Right here, honey, right here...in this seedy little motel with the dark panelling and the wonderful Christians hearts all around you:>)I really learned this week that little things really touch down BIG! Let your light shine FC, you never know when it is a confrmation for someone who realy needs an answer to a prayer.
|BTW I am back home now and all is well:>)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Morel...you just planted another seed! Your post made me feel blessed just reading it...I'm so glad to know that one of my friends is also seeking and questioning. I have been doing this for the past year and agonizing over what to do, what I don't want to do, what in the world does God want me to do? Sometimes it comes to me just like you described....signs all around me and I am often too involved with trying to find the answer to realize its staring me in the face....or playing on the stereo in the next room! ;) :)

I got confirmation of what God wants me to do here recently and I feel so cheerful and happy over it that I can't stop smiling! Everyone is pretty used to me smiling and laughing all the time anyway but I guess its punched up a level right now 'cause people are commenting on it! :p

I hope you found your answers and tell us all about it on here....and I hope my darned computer is fixed by then!!! :D

Latest posts