Show me you outdoor clothes lines.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Mine consists of nylon twine from haybales, tied kitty corner to 2 fences numerous times. I end up doing a lot of walking back and forth and it isn't high enough for sheets, so I have to fold them up a bit, when I hang them.
Some day I will get the pulley type again.

239_100_6794.jpg

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ours is the retractable kind. It goes from our house to the fence post on the other side of the yard. It is roughly 27 feet across our yard to the back fence. Our lines don't have the same tension so the heaviest stuff goes on the tightest line.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I have the pulley type too. Runs from my side porch rail to a tree. (actually 2 trees since I use two lines). I use the black rubber "s" hook thingys to keep my line from drooping.
I also use the backs of my porch chairs, my porch swing and any other available surface on a heavy wash day.
(don't you know my neighbors love me)

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
DrMom said:
Wildsky, what type of umbrella line did you get? Durability is an issue. I have found many dry racks that are designed for the occasional hand-washed item, but if you put 4 or 5 pairs of jeans on them several times a week they disintegrate.
Gosh I don't know the make, I could fit three loads on it, but I've only gone up to two loads and its been fine. It can fold up and be pulled out and brought inside, but I haven't done that either - I will probably bring it in for winter.

card5640

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Love line drying, I have 2 4x4s in the ground with cement with a 2x6 across, I have been using the same set up for 25 years, it is strung with parachute cord which I put on 25 yrs ago and going strong. Gave up on big fuffy towels and use the cheap thin ones. I can put more in the washer and they dry faster. In the winter I hang everything on a wood folding rack ( made here in Maine) in front of my pellet stove dries in no time. Also using Maine made clothes pins.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
card5640 said:
Love line drying, I have 2 4x4s in the ground with cement with a 2x6 across, I have been using the same set up for 25 years, it is strung with parachute cord which I put on 25 yrs ago and going strong. Gave up on big fuffy towels and use the cheap thin ones. I can put more in the washer and they dry faster. In the winter I hang everything on a wood folding rack ( made here in Maine) in front of my pellet stove dries in no time. Also using Maine made clothes pins.
Hey Card 5640, I'll trade you some nice Pacific Northwestern moss (from the rain forest, no less) for some nice Main made clothes rack and pins!!! :p

:lol: Just kidding of course, but they sound so pretty!!

ETA: Wildsky, three loads????? Awesome!!!

card5640

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Sure thing Big Brown Horse, Maine made clothes pins do not have springs, they are old style. Had to hide them from my husband and kids as they make great "bullets" with a rubber band! I am sure you can find both on -line, Maine is quite famous for their drying racks, someone is always selling them at craft fairs.

card5640

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Let me know Brown Horse if you can't find them, I will search and mail you a parcel! They are "wicked" cheap here.