Show me you outdoor clothes lines.

dinesh

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
DrMom said:
Who line dries there clothes? What type of outdoor clothes line do you use? I remember the umbrella type my grandma used and it brings back warm memories.

I have been air drying all laundry or my family of five, spouse, 14 yo girl, 11 and 18 yo boys, for over a year now using indoor drying racks. We have alot of laundry! It works great, with our dry climate. I would like to go with a line type of system for the summer outdoors. I used the racks out side last year, but they don't work well in the wind. I don't care who looks at our underwear. That I think is a silly concern. We do live in the city, on an urban lot. So, we do not have room for the two post type with line run between. I also want something that can be taken down in the winter. What do you use?
I am using very ordinary sort of clothes line but very soon I will try the advance dryer machines could you give me some useful information that can meet my requirement.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use my dryer. :hide

But I have been known to string 5-50 cord across my living room in a zig-zag pattern sometimes because the power has gone out at rather inopportune moments. Gotta love the Pacific NW!

McNugget

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Isn't the new techo name for these things is "solar/wind powered clothes dryer"? :D Here's mine, along with my organic pest control system.

1771_kodak_039.jpg

I dry everything but jeans and towels on this or when the weather is bad, on drying rack inside. I don't like my jeans and towels air dried. Too stiff.

Most people don't realize that it's better to air dry your clothes than using an electric dryer. The heat damages the clothes and eats your socks. ;) Never lost a sock air drying. Heat drying damages the elastic and spandex in many garments. Plus sun shine is a great stain remover or at least it helps fade the stain to make it less noticable.

I love my sheets dried out on the line! They smell so fresh!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have the pully type as well, runs from the edge of the laundry room (*not* by the door funny enough, we didn't put it up.. the old owners did) about 80ft to the trunk of an old dead cedar at the other end of the yard.

DrMom

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I love all the responses, I love to hang my clothes to dry. some quite time just to think. Even better when I can be standing in the sunshine. It is snowing now. I found if I put the towels and rugs in the dryer, even with no heat for a couple of minutes it "fluffs" them then hang dry they are softer. May work with jeans too. I like the stiff jeans and the last much longer.

For the sheets and towels, we live in a raised ranch with a second story entry and porch. I hang the sheets over the front railing. We live in the city in a neighborhood of professional's surrounded by million dollar houses! I'm just waiting for someone to complain. Wait tell they see the chickens...

The only trees we have are scrub oak, probably will not work to hook it to. I love the T style of wood, but not fair for the neighbors who would have to look at it. I thinking the umbrella type will work best for my space, and can take down in the winter. Beside that is what grandma had outside her back door. I remember have the sheets hung in a u-shape and dreaming about crawling in for a nap in the sunshine. Are any types better then others? I like the idea of be able to restring when needed.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mine is made of pipes and sits on the ground. It's really easy to drag around when we want to mow the lawn.

1708_dsc00732.jpg

Latest posts