SHTF Hygiene

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Better make it 6-10, BBH. Sounds like we accidentally hit on a great barter item which will be more valuable than gold! :lol:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
So a crystal isn't any healthier than stick deoderant because it is that aluminum-salt.

:gig at those hippie freaks. (No offense) But I'd rather use a long-lasting crystal that I can MAKE than god-knows-what else goes into stick deorderants.

Shopping List:

Diamond nail file
Alum

We already have a solar shower. I bet we would use it!! I'm not sure what we would do in winter!

There is a book my mom had called "Natural Formulas." Loved it - can't find a copy. Anyways, there were recipes for dry shampoos that we essentially oatmeal brushed through hair to absorb oil.

The hair kinda freaks me out. Now I only shave about once a month. A little more in summer - like pre-tank top and pre-bathing suit. Really, I only shave my legs once or twice a year. Thank God my fiance doesn't care! I would be desparate for hair removal too.

Straight razor? Near my girl parts? OMG. :th

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I bought a Thai crystal deo block, but use it very sparingly because of the alum. Otherwise I use my homemade stuff most of the time.

Sandstone would work great for smoothing nails.

If you make your own kombucha you can let it turn to vinegar and use that in place of avc and normal white vinegar.

I'm really going to have to look into the homemade lye now!

Sally, once my mom visits again she'll be bringing all my soaping stuff so I'll be going that to help with some income. If I can find a store to 'sponsor' my soap I suspect these city people will eat it up. I hope!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Better make it 6-10, BBH. Sounds like we accidentally hit on a great barter item which will be more valuable than gold! :lol:
:lol:

I'm throwing all of my important documents out of my fire proof safe to fill with a cache of toe nail clippers! Better find a tree to bury it under too. I'm gonna be rich! Woohoo!
:gig

Hey tortoise, just try that baking soda and lotion trick...so much healthier, and soooo easy. Mix to the consistancy of store bought frosting. I keep mine in a tiny tupperware container and appply like lotion. For me the lotion keeps it in place longer than just a dusting of baking soda.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I would just go without deodorant, I mean really. I hardly use it now, and only really NEED it if I'm out fencing or some such hard labor :gig

If I was struggling to find/grow (etc) food, and dealing with long toe nails - I don't think deodorant would make me feel better. :he

As far as shaving goes, luckily I can use a straightrazor, but really if there is no TV and no internet - throw a plucking party and you can gather all your buddies and pluck your legs.

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
I would just go without deodorant, I mean really. I hardly use it now, and only really NEED it if I'm out fencing or some such hard labor :gig

If I was struggling to find/grow (etc) food, and dealing with long toe nails - I don't think deodorant would make me feel better. :he

As far as shaving goes, luckily I can use a straightrazor, but really if there is no TV and no internet - throw a plucking party and you can gather all your buddies and pluck your legs.
:cool: More projects for me to try!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Baking soda can actualyy take care of a number of diseases.
I have 3 large boxes stored. I store molassas to go with it for cancer treatment if that should ever be an issue... of course the molassas is good for making the miracle Bokashi compost too.

I have about 6 different medicines and protocols stored to treat a variety of cancers... remember, by the stats most of us will get some form of cancer if we reach the age of 80 and if the SHTF what are you going to do?

visit www.imva.info to learn more about sodium bicarbonate therapy and Lugol's iodine therapy for cancers.

Of course the best treatment is prevention.

I use the crystal deodorant also. The only problem with it is if yo drop it it smashes to smitherines. Don't drop it.
You can use broken pieces but it is not very comfortable.

I have stashed washclothes to use instead of TP. No different than washing diapers, not near as bad. Of course this is for worst case senerios.

I store sodium chlorite for water purification as well as chlorox. Sodium chlorite stores indefinately in flake form. It can purify a wash load.

Baking soda is capable of curing some dental infections. Brush and rinse with it. Also get a good dental pick and learn how to clean your own teeth. You don't need a dentist for that and if you do becasue of oral pain you really need to start that baking soda now!