SHTF Hygiene

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ok all y'all are a buncha amateurs... shaving? deodorant? really?

i think my "non-showering for consecutive days" record is 5 full days and nites and i did not burst into flames. altho none of the cats wanted to sit with me and the dogs wanted to roll on me to get the stink on them like when they find something yucky in the yard.

dudes, (and by that i mean 'gals')... i dont remember the last time i used "real" deodorant...i think it took me like 3 years go get thru one bottle of that natural stuff. once you clean up your diet you'd be surprised how much you dont stink unless you really work at it.

and like Wildsky says - without tv we could all just pluck our legs if we needed it (* looks at currently hairy legs and shrugs*), and as for the rest of it.... golly i think our men would be very happy to have us help them "gut and pluck" supper than be all fancied up.

if the S really does HTF i'm with Free, every waking moment we'll be doing other stuff anyway. but i'm not sure it natural BC...
;-)

ChickenToes

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I don't know...I just can't stand not shaving. My record is a whopping 2 days. I would either wax or learn how to use a straight razor. Deodorant, shampoo, soap, all that can be made at home. I already cut my own hair and chew my nails, so that's all taken care of. But I cannot go without shaving!!!

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Newspaper works as a substitute for tp, you just need to crumple it up a bit, to soften it and make it more absorbant and usable. I grew up without tp too. ;) and no paper towels or paper tissues. We did have paper coffee filters though :lol:
Newspaper was common, but does anyone remember what the REAL value of the Montgomery Wards or Sears Catalogues were? Where I came from they were usually kept in the privy and had two purposes...one for reading...:lol: Guess that shows my age...Most folks these days don't even remember Montgomery Wards.

Hardwoods seem to give a better source of lye from the ashes...

And for those with the issue of "body odor" a nice clump of alfalfa sprouts always seemed to improve the general fragrance of the individual. The more fresh green vegetables you ate, the less problem with B.O. Meat is the biggest source of offensive odor so the vegetarians do a bit better unless they use a lot of strong spices. Spices tend to be excreted by the sweat glands *(and yes, they are just modified sweat glands eh ladies?)

Personal hygiene is of course a major contributor to good health. So remember, in my opinion, the one greatest contributer to the improvement of human health in this world has been the humble bar of soap.
YMMV but the truth is still the truth.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
Personal hygiene is of course a major contributor to good health. So remember, in my opinion, the one greatest contributer to the improvement of human health in this world has been the humble bar of soap.
YMMV but the truth is still the truth.
ITA. Without hygiene, ppl would be getting sick and unable to work. I personally can't focus or work if I have a hangnail or chapped lips.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
ICU, what does YMMV stand for? :D
It is the great disclaimer...Your mileage may vary...I learned it from the automobile industry who never told the truth about mileage in a car...
I know...it's silly

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm with you Shiloh, I only use deo is I need to look (and smell) especially nice. Which isn't too often. I haven't even made a dent in the deo I made over a year ago.

Aye aye OFG, I noticed that too, the more my eating habits have improved the less I stink.

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
Guess that shows my age...Most folks these days don't even remember Montgomery Wards.
:hide I still have stuff from there.

Yes, good ol' "monkey wards" and also corn cobs, my grandma kept a bucket of corn cobs (after they had been shucked) in the out house! Not soft but does the job.:gig

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Aw, c'mon, I'm not THAT old. But yes, we had a catalog in the outhouse. Ours was Sears, I think.

Thankfully we never had to use corncobs. They don't seem like they'd be very nice.

I typically buy a year's worth of TP anyway. But I used cloth diapers and cloths for other things. I have a big stack of white washcloths that are dedicated as cleaning and "mess" rags so I don't have to worry I'm using something that WAS nasty on my face. Wouldn't be a big problem, if it was necessary.

Y'know, if it ever comes down to it, can I just relocate to a clean pool fed by a clean waterfall so I can bathe and shower all I want, and I'm sure I'll be ok. ;)

I remember what a chore it was to pump water from the well, carry it in, heat it on the woodstove, fill the wastub, and when all's done you still have to empty the washtub. I didn't get that many baths in winter as a child. It didn't bother me then, but I'd rather not have to live that way now.

Swimming with a bar of soap works though. :)