SHTF - Information?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I've been thinking again. How do you keep information for SHTF? I can't remember all that stuff - foraging, making lye, soap, crystal, deoderant, etc.

I save EVERYTHING online and rely on Google. SHTF, I'm screwed.

I am going to start a binder. Knitting patterns for sock, mittens, hats. How to make vinegar, lye, lye/fat soap, crystal deoderant, start a fire, dig a well (I hear the water table is very shallow here), how about filtering algae lake water to make it safe to drink? (We live near lakes.)

I'm not finding any good books on the topic. They're very general and don't cover what *I* need to know. SHTF - I'm not going to suddenly be able to have a cow on a tiny city lot. Those sorts of general books that cover many topics aren't helpful.

What do you think you need to know and how do you keep that information?

ChickenToes

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If I find info online, I write it down in a notebook right away. I am very forgetful and tend to forget to bookmark things, so writing them down is a must for me. I have 1 full notebook and am about halfway through another. I write down everything from basics on beekeeping and soapmaking to clothing patterns and garden plans, plant info and info on the moon cycles. You name it, it's probably in one my notebooks.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You could start saving(copy/paste is your friend) it to your computer on the Wordpad and then when you have the time run off a hard copy.
My favorite recipes and sites that I often refer to usually have most of the info that I want copy/pasted into my computer's wordpad so that if I lose internet I still have it on the computer and can pull it up.
I also have a couple of old ring binders and a binder hole punch and have them kinda stuffed! Now is the time to get a few more and get them filled up!! lol
some of my best and favorite recipes are now on a flash drive and I can always sweet talk son into getting his laptop out, we are going to get him a car adapter for it so it can charge and I have in the basement one of those "jump it" car battery starters that is a big battery that is charged and you can actually plug a regular plug in to it as it has a dc to ac inverter attached. Says that you can use it to run tv-laptop-phone charger etc. Thinking about that I think I will mosey down to the basement and make sure that it is charged!;):D

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I need to do that - print hard copies.

If the SHTF I doubt 411 could find me the phone number for tortoise if I needed info.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a bunch of the Firefox books. Most of this info is in there.. plus a whoooooooooooooooooooole bunch of stuff (like banjo making) that you'd never know you want to know ya know?

eta ---- foxfire?!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
:D playing banjo will keep the zombies away.
Or the accordion.

We too use binders. At a office supply store, that was going out of business, I picked up a whole lot of those three ring type, plastic sleeves that you slide paper into. I'm always looking for three ring binders at yard sales, to add different categories.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I dunno if they still do but Wal-Mart used to put binders on sale for 25cents either in their back to school sale or later. They are the cheaper kind but they work.

I used to have 3 large tubs of 25 cent binders, 10 cent packs of paper and composition books for homeschooling. It ended up being more than enough, but I did save some of it cuz it always comes in handy.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Having free access to a Xerox DocuColor 260 and a wire binding system has its advantages :D

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm going to have to hand-write. Our printer is inefficient an EXPENSIVE. Ah well, that's more SS and "green" too.

I should stock up on sheet protectors. I want this stuff to last.

What info do you keep in yours?