SHTF - Information?

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just a "speaking of expensive printers". ...

I bought a CHEAP inkjet at Wal-Mart years ago. It came with color and black cartridges. Buying a new cartridge of either costs about what I paid for the whole thing.

I use color very sparingly and just bought a refill kit for the black. It's super-easy to do, and for $10 I can refill several times. Once upon a time I spent $50 on inks every couple months. I think I'm averaging around $3 a year now. (Though admittedly I'm using it a lot less too.)

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
DH gives my a hard time because I have a million notebooks of everything. I write it all down, and have specific notebooks for certain things....garden plots, garden notes, canning notes, livestock notes, seasons, etc. I also have books...LOTS AND LOTS of books! Three copies of Back to Basics, another of the 'modern' version (although is virtually the exact same book), The Sufficient Self, Foxfire, etc. Lots of survival books, too. Some have little sticky note pieces marking a page that has parts highlighted or notes in the margin.

I think just whatever works for you, that helps you stay organized, etc.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
:D playing banjo will keep the zombies away.
I wondered why I never see them around my farm or my neck of the woods here in SDAK...now I know. They don't like my 5 string banjo picking...that is great news...
Thanks!:ya

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
What works best for me is to actually go through the process at least once. Then if I don't have my instructions, I know I will eventually remember enough to get it done. That is not always possible, but I've done many, many ss things once that I cannot keep up with, but I wanted to get that knowledge more firmly into my head.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
freemotion said:
What works best for me is to actually go through the process at least once. Then if I don't have my instructions, I know I will eventually remember enough to get it done. That is not always possible, but I've done many, many ss things once that I cannot keep up with, but I wanted to get that knowledge more firmly into my head.
I need to do this too. My fiance is going to think I am crazy, but at least my brother will understand. It's genetic I think. My grandpa was very much like that!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
Wildsky said:
:D playing banjo will keep the zombies away.
I wondered why I never see them around my farm or my neck of the woods here in SDAK...now I know. They don't like my 5 string banjo picking...that is great news...
Thanks!:ya
:gig I have one of my dad's banjo's - brought it back from South Africa with me a few years ago (OK like 10 years) I wanted to learn to play it but there is a crack in the side of the darn thing. Such a let down.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have a wonderful book that has all that info in it. Great book for these kind of scenarios. I also have the Foxfire series and lots of MEN from the 80s. And scads of this stuff is just in my head..years of reading, studying, contemplating, planning and doing.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I kind of do what everyone has already mentioned.
I have loads of books on the subject, old and new MEN magazines, copy and paste into my computer file, print and put it in folders or binders, or at least just print it, it is here somewhere :lol: and try to do stuff once or twice. Now I am also starting to check out you tube more often, since so many people post how-to's on there.
I also love second hand stores, I have found some very interresting books and magazines there.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Sheet protectors and ring binders are handy too. I use the wire binding for complete books/publications. I use the sheet protectors and binders for stray tidbits of information I find on the net, newspaper clippings and magazine articles.

I have one binder with info on making rocket stoves, earth ovens, solar stills, anything I find on wind and solar, etc...

Another binding has kitchen info...canning, recipes, drying, etc...

I am working on another one for critter information and need one more for gardening.

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have an extensive collection of old and new (mostly the old good ones) Mother Earth News that I am in the process of photocoping the covers and cataloging them in a three ring binder to make it easier to find the article I need. I have also been keeping and eye out for Foxfire books. I have read the series from our public library but would really like a personal set. There is a wealth of lost or almost lost knowledge in those older publications.