SHTF - Information?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Icu4dzs said:
Wildsky said:
:D playing banjo will keep the zombies away.
I wondered why I never see them around my farm or my neck of the woods here in SDAK...now I know. They don't like my 5 string banjo picking...that is great news...
Thanks!:ya
:gig I have one of my dad's banjo's - brought it back from South Africa with me a few years ago (OK like 10 years) I wanted to learn to play it but there is a crack in the side of the darn thing. Such a let down.
This is WAY off topic but I can't resist:

My dad work on pianos and I've seem him repair sound boards - the wooden part the reverberates to give a piano it's tone. I bet you could do the same on you banjo!

Carefully line up tape on either side of the crack so that you goop does not get onto the wood. Get some opaque two-part epoxy that is sandable/stainable. I think the stuff in a stick will work. Pres it into the crack and clean off the excess with a razor blade. When dry, peel off the tape, sand smooth, and repair the finish.

It should be almost as good as new. :)

Back to SHTF...

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Wildsky said:
Icu4dzs said:
I wondered why I never see them around my farm or my neck of the woods here in SDAK...now I know. They don't like my 5 string banjo picking...that is great news...
Thanks!:ya
:gig I have one of my dad's banjo's - brought it back from South Africa with me a few years ago (OK like 10 years) I wanted to learn to play it but there is a crack in the side of the darn thing. Such a let down.
This is WAY off topic but I can't resist:

My dad work on pianos and I've seem him repair sound boards - the wooden part the reverberates to give a piano it's tone. I bet you could do the same on you banjo!

Carefully line up tape on either side of the crack so that you goop does not get onto the wood. Get some opaque two-part epoxy that is sandable/stainable. I think the stuff in a stick will work. Pres it into the crack and clean off the excess with a razor blade. When dry, peel off the tape, sand smooth, and repair the finish.

It should be almost as good as new. :)

Back to SHTF...
Sounds easy enough - I'll check the banjo out and see how bad it is, we've left it on our patio for years now... its in a case and the patio is enclosed, but I haven't opened it in a long long time.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't save my MEN magazines, but I cut out pages with articles that I think might be useful, and put them in page protectors in a binder (along with things I print online). That way I can sort them by subject and find what I need more quickly.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Another good magazine I recent found is Urban Farm. The issue I grabbed at Vitamin Cottage had a chicken article, a growing micro-greens article, sustainable community info, a bit on compost and a few other articles I haven't even gotten to yet. I am saving the whole issue.

Other magazines I just clip out what I need or copy what I want to keep and give the magazine away. Saves a lot of space that way.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If your printer is very expensive, try saving all the online info into a word processing document (Like Word, or Open Office) then printing the whole shebag at the library or a print shop. My library cuts a serious deal when you bring your own paper.

Basically what others have been saying. Big stack of MEN, GRIT & Organic Gardener, unfortunately the newer editions of MEN. I've read a few older editions and they seemed to be full of more useful info in general.
3" 3-ring binder almost full of info printed off the web. I probably need to cull some of it.

Books, books, books. Rocket Mass Stoves, Humanure, Organic Gardening, Companion Planting, Blacksmithing, Deerskins into Buckskins, Sewing for the Outdoors, Backyard Homestead, several of the Storey's guides, Where there is no Dr., Water Containment & Purification, etc, etc, etc.

And practice. Like free said, if you do it at least once or twice, you'll have a frame of reference even if you lose the instructions.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I "right click-save as" to one of several folders on my 'puter, then print them as needed. Good idea about a 3 ring binder or two.......

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I picked up a book called "Emergency Medicine: A comprehensive study guide" for $1 at a garage sale. I think the person holding the sale was a nurse :D

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Another publication that I came across a couple of years ago was Countryside magazine. It kind of reminds me of the older MEN magazines. It has alot of back to basics articles in it.

I like the idea of clipping out the usefull articles and putting them in a binder. The only problem is there is so much good stuff in the old MEN issues it probably wouldn't reduce my volume much.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
The sad part if TSHTF is we would not have SS and each other to refer to anymore....can we devise smoke signals now??????