SHTF - Information?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Those ARE a little pricey, huh? :p Glad to know they are available, though.

Can you just see all these urban homesteaders driving their goat carts to town for barter and trade? :D Sort of like a different kind of Amish.....

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I don't think I can hook up a cart to a cat or a duck :p

I am sure if TSHTF, getting a large stray dog to work for you as a pack animal would be no problem what so ever.

Keep any friendly, tame dogs for pack use and eat the mean and useless.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'd like to work on training my sheep to work in harness if I could find harness that small without paying a fortune.
Just make one out of bits and bobs. If you understand enough about the use and fitting of harness to be safe to start an animal to harness in the first place, you definitely know enough to make something serviceable... especially for sheep (which will not be exerting major force on a harness compared to horses).

If one is not familiar with harnessing or driving animals of some sort, however, it owuld be an AWFULLY good idea to learn how (hands-on) before trying to do any of it yourself, be it with storeboughten equipment or homemade.

Pat

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
:frow

I used to make dog weight pull harnesses. Can help out with the harness making if anyone is serious about training their sheep, goats, or dogs.

:lol:

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One of my dd is constantly making and harnessing up our dogs and chickens. Yes, chickens! She had one trained to pull a small cart. Of course dogs are bigger and can pull wagons and she makes reins for them too. You should see my poor toy poodle all harnessed and reined going through training! Now she would love to get her hands on a goat.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I always wanted to hook up the dog to a sled so she can pull the kids in the snow - they'd all have fun! :D

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We used to have a Siberian husky that we would hitch to the kids sled. We bought her a real sled pulling harness and single rigging. It took about a grand total of 1 minute to break her to drive. Stopping on the other hand ..... we finally ended up using a long cord tied to her choke collar and the other end around the kids waist! :lol: She would run around and around the pasture as fast as she could until she flung the kid off of the sled and into a snow pile. She would only stop when she finally got tired of dragging the kid through the snow by her choke collar.

The dog thought it was a totally funny game and so did the kids. :gig

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a llama that I'd love to train for driving someday. But I've got a lot of learning myself first.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ALCON
cutting and pasting from the internet works well as long as you can access the information when you need it. Some have remarked about how difficult it would be to do so either because of the situation or because they have less than ideal printing capability. Handwriting is very inefficient and often the victim of the vagaries of individual style.

I for one, advocate books already in print. In the long run they are cheaper to own and use. There are truly some very good ones that will help you with all kinds of information that will get you started. One person remarked about there being no substitute for experience and ITA. Nothing could be more true...but there are those who have no frame of reference because they live in a more urban setting now. Those folks would benefit greatly from learning what they can from books. At least for a start. One can grow a huge amount of food rather than waste time and energy on a lawn in the city.
Two of the books I would highly recommend would be:
1. Country Wisdom and Know-how (Storey Books)
2. Storey's Basic Country Skills: A practical guide to self reliance.

Of course, I am in no way associated with Storey's books but I own them and have to say they have helped me immensely. If you have no place to start, that is better than any I have found. They have many options in those books and while they are not all-inclusive and exhaustive in their information, you can certainly get a start on those things if you have never done any of them.

I started life in the suburbs which had been country where my mom was born in the house in which I grew up. Houses built up all around us and changed the character of my world over those years, but I got the idea on lots of things.

If you are in "the city" which in my opinion is anywhere other than in the country....you will benefit from these books and trips to the woods to practice some of the skills. Others may have friends in the country who will allow them the opportunity to practice the skills which will benefit the friends place as well.

Anyone who wants to come to the wilds of North East South Dakota and try some things would be welcome. I have a nice farm and 10 buildings left on it by the folks who farmed it before me. There is a lot going on here. I am in the process of constructing and erecting a wind turbine and solar panels to be off grid. There is so much to do on a farm which is why I came here so I would have a good place to be when I retire. :old

The skills mentioned in the book do not always elaborate on the tools or materials needed to do things. That is the sort of thing you have to figure out for yourself. Yes, in that way you do tend to "clampett up the place" but then you will find that there are some things that are indispensable and some that you can borrow from a neighbor. If you have a choice between doing a job yourself (and buying the tools you need for it) or hiring someone to do the job with their own tools, my bet is on doing your own. Buy the tools and don't be cheap. Buy good tools. They will last longer and serve you better.

Of course you need space and that requires distance from a lot of folks. The isolation issue has to be resolved in your own mind in order to do this, however. Not everyone is cut out for this style of life despite the perceived "romance" of it. :he Being stuck on the farm for several days or even longer because of bad weather can get to some folks and make them unhappy. Being able to get along with those around you in that setting is of course paramount to success. Getting along on the Internet is easy...you just close your computer and they all go away. :caf Wait till they are around 24/7/365. That is the real test of your character. :barnie

I live alone but have to work outside my farm because my particular skill is in short supply out here. I still try to do my own work whenever possible. Not for the bragging rights but for the ability to do it again when/if necessary and to help others if needed and that happens regularly.

Remember, this life style is a way of life, not an 8 hr/day job. IT NEVER ENDS.
Keeping that in perspective will help you decide if you can adapt to the self-sufficient life more than any other single factor. Money will help, but character is at the top of the list.
YMMV
Trim sends