Signs of spring in your area?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
When do buzzards hatch? I saw two whole flocks of young buzzards~no red heads yet~ in a field around a dead deer....they were sooo cute with their wings spread in the sun! :)
Our Buzzards always arrive March 15 and there is a festival each year. I welcome the Buzzards because they take care of the winter roadkill. A few years we had very warm days before the return and the roadkill stench wafted through the air putting a real damper on being outside in the sun.
I don't know when they hatch, good question.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ticks said:
Farmfresh said:
BACK?

The ducks and geese NEVER leave here! We has Canada goose poo around each and every little pond YEAR ROUND. We even have geese with hatchlings in tow marching down the side of the road.

Ticks we need you and your hunting ways! All of these mamby pamby city folk. People around here actually have feeders for the geese and the deer as well. The geese know when they have it good. They are beautiful - but not in hordes!
Haha. Do you live in a more southern state than VT?
12 gauge should go over well with them city slickers. ;)
12 gauge to the ducks, not the people, that could be read WAY wrong.
Hahaha i never understood deer feeders at all. Why would i want deer round all the time to eat my vegetables etc?

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i saw wild ducks on a flooded area yesterday :) They were so cute.

also the lawn is going green slowly, we have robins, and linda our neighbor is out and about riding her horse and spying on us again. NO REALLY she is... she rode up to our bottom gate and pointed and talked with her husband and friend and kept staring at the house.

its really creepy and odd.

breconbcs

Power Conserver
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:

also the lawn is going green slowly, we have robins, and linda our neighbor is out and about riding her horse and spying on us again. NO REALLY she is... she rode up to our bottom gate and pointed and talked with her husband and friend and kept staring at the house.

We have yet to see our PITA neighbours but we know they will eventually be up. Thankfully they weren't up much last year, and they didn't come up this March break like they usually do. So today with the weather going to be a beautiful 10C and sunny, I think I will spend most of the day outside raking and cleaning up the yard.

My robin is finally back to drive me insane. :) This bird swears that my lights on the front deck, which are right beside the patio doors, are there just for them to build their nest on. And each year we do everything possible to discourage them. Robin does figure it out eventually and builds elsewhere. We have all these trees and the robin has to build there.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
breconbcs said:
lupinfarm said:

We have yet to see our PITA neighbours but we know they will eventually be up. Thankfully they weren't up much last year, and they didn't come up this March break like they usually do. So today with the weather going to be a beautiful 10C and sunny, I think I will spend most of the day outside raking and cleaning up the yard.

My robin is finally back to drive me insane. :) This bird swears that my lights on the front deck, which are right beside the patio doors, are there just for them to build their nest on. And each year we do everything possible to discourage them. Robin does figure it out eventually and builds elsewhere. We have all these trees and the robin has to build there.
Our neighbor is a nutjob. She owns a horse barn and she seems to be worried about us offering pasture board on the side. she keeps coming up the driveway when we're not home on horseback and looking at our fields and snooping around and stuff and we can't put a gate up because the ground is too rocky where we'd need to and it would make the driveway too narrow for the propane and oil trucks.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Me too! My youngest is a "licker" and has been since a pup. I've tried to train him out of it but he gets in one now and again when I'm not prepared....

So, picture me cleaning out the coop, raking out chicken nuggets and Jake chewing contentedly on his high protein "snacks".....

and running over to me later and slurping me on the face! :sick Chicken poop breath! :tongue
Gross. My lab licks, all she does. She doesn't bite, just licks.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
It is snowing again today. :he Fortunately it isn't sticking.

I finally got the "official" report that says the Pacific Northwest is stuck in below average temperatures, due to some cold water in the Pacific Ocean, and will stay that way well toward the end of May. I think they said we are currently still experiencing average February temperatures. :/

I started my tomatoes later than usual this year, expecting it would be cool, but I think I started them too early for this sort of spring. :p

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Try those "Wall of Water" tomato protectors. They really work. I have a few for starting things early. ;)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, Farmfresh. Actually, I have a plastic covered green house, but I'm not going to trust my tomatoes outside until we stop seeing the temps drop into the 20's at night. I won't trust that to happen for another 2 weeks. :p

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Lilacs in the yard started blooming a couple of days ago.

Trout lillies in the forest are blooming.

Latest posts