Signs of spring in your area?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We are in spring thank goodness.

Everything is blooming and thru the one time 5 inches of snow we got this year the daffodils came thru and were so pretty in tons of yellow flowers against the white snow in the fields. My Hyacinths smell great in the window sill. They are sooooo fragrant.

Nice but the snow is far gone --Yippeeeee,,,

now the fight is planting against the rain time. whenever we need to get in the field the rains come....mother nature is a hoot!

battle battle battle --seems all I do in life..HA HA

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Nothing blooming here yet, but all the animals are mating!!! :rolleyes:

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I have foliage - no buds yet - on my earliest of early crocuses, and 1.5" 'noses' coming up from my earliest tulips. All in a very warm heat-trapping location.

Heard canada geese honking this morning before the wind came through, though!

Currently floody and almost snowless (just remnants of biggest drifts). I learned something useful this winter -- if you let the big sump in the barn freeze with not much water in it, the cold penetrates horizontally into the ground from the sump and heaves up the part of drainage pipe that feeds the sump, raising it high enough that it no longer drains.

So today's sign of spring is, when DH gets home I get to bail all the water out of the horse stalls for the third day in a row :p (this is a sign of spring because it means there is LIQUID rather than solid water <g>)

Pat

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our mating phoebes arrived this morning with their tails all a-bobbing!

Inchy

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I have foliage - no buds yet - on my earliest of early crocuses, and 1.5" 'noses' coming up from my earliest tulips. All in a very warm heat-trapping location.

Heard canada geese honking this morning before the wind came through, though!

Currently floody and almost snowless (just remnants of biggest drifts). I learned something useful this winter -- if you let the big sump in the barn freeze with not much water in it, the cold penetrates horizontally into the ground from the sump and heaves up the part of drainage pipe that feeds the sump, raising it high enough that it no longer drains.

So today's sign of spring is, when DH gets home I get to bail all the water out of the horse stalls for the third day in a row :p (this is a sign of spring because it means there is LIQUID rather than solid water <g>)

Pat
Yikes! My barn is about the only thing on our land that is not under water right now--part of the paddock is good too. The sump pump in the basement ran all night last night. I went down to check--the basement is still dry!! Yay!

Praying the horses feet stay healthy during this wet season :fl

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Well, the sun looks like March, but we have had nightime temps as cold as we get in December/January. Luckily all the budding plants have taken a hint and stopped growing. So we are in a holding pattern for the time being. Something tells me winter won't be over until the end of March this year. Maybe I'm just being cautiously pessimistic though. :/

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Something tells me winter won't be over until the end of March this year. Maybe I'm just being cautiously pessimistic though. :/
Huh, our winter ended the second week of February, it's been MARCH since then and that could persist until late April the way the last few yrs have gone :p

Pat

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
It is a just a matter of perspective. Since we don't get really severe winter weather, but we can get arctic air blasts any time between November and March, wintery conditions can come and go at any time, but typically don't persist long. So, February was actually more March-like than March has been so far.

Some years we get our coldest temperatures in March. It is kind of weird to see everything moderately died back until March and then everything suddenly looks like a waste-land! :lol:

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Forsythia is blooming. Fruit tress are starting to bloom. Grass is turning green. Trees and shrubs are starting to bud. Irises and other perennials are growing.

Must mean a killing frost is due.