Signs of spring in your area?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The wonderful aroma of chicken and turkey litter on the fields, along with the Lord of the Flies hatch of fly maggots that go along with it! :sick :somad

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
The wonderful aroma of chicken and turkey litter on the fields, along with the Lord of the Flies hatch of fly maggots that go along with it! :sick :somad
Get those chickens out there turning those maggots into eggs!!! :lol:

jenjscott

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
well, the pear trees are blooming, along with the redbuds. The Persimmons are budding, and the cypress are starting to green up. The geese have mostly left for the year. and the goldfinches are starting to put on their yellow feathers.

Jen

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Beekissed said:
Get those chickens out there turning those maggots into eggs!!! :lol:
I wish! The fields are across the road and all over the county!!! Every hay field is the dumping grounds of the commercial poultry industry around here. :somad :sick

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, ewww!!! :sick I lived next door to a commercial egg factory and when they cleaned the barn in the spring....with a payloader.....and spread it on the potato fields, it stunk for days and days! I vowed to NEVER have chickens, EVER!!! :rolleyes:

Since then I've learned about deep litter and pastured chickens, no stink!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Now you know why I'm so desparate to try Joel's methods...kind of hoping the neighbor will notice the green, green grass and temp paddocks and ask a question or two. I would much rather he be spreading composted cow manure on his fields instead of poultry litter any day. This is a ritual that is repeated again after the first cutting and again in the fall. :/

Three times in which I get to smell and reap the benefits of his methods of farming.....fly guts plastered to every surface, never being able to drive anywhere unless the car is full of hundreds of flies, not being able to sit still in one's home unless you feel the little legs crawling your skin surface. Take any fly related incident you've ever experienced and times it by 100...this is what results from this type of fertilizing! Just think of the diseases and filth carted around by this scourge to other animals in the area....pink eye anyone? :rolleyes:

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Welcome, Jenjscott!!

Today we had about 6 bluebirds--my favorites :) plus more robins and a couple cedar waxwings. It was also about 0 degrees windchill, but the birds didn't seem to notice.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Well...we are seeing the grass green up a bit and the robins are out singing so spring must be getting CLOSE!!