Signs of spring in your area?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have crocuses(croci?) :D poking up here in the mountains. I've heard several bird calls that I would normally hear in the spring. Plus, of course, all the lambs and calves are the heralds of spring around the corner.

What do you see, hear, or smell in your area that tells us spring is coming. I think this has been a long winter for some of us and we need the inspiration of spring signs! :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
You're as bad as my parents down in Philly. "Oh, we have crocuses up and daffodils coming along soon and the witchhazel is blooming and the birds are singing and...."

Hah.

Here, we had a melt that uncovered the pasture and lawn, but only so it can be freeze-dried in several days of highs around 10-15 F and lows around -5 - 0 F with substantial windchills on top of that.

Don't talk to me about spring. Spring is just a vicious rumor to frustrate Northerners.

LOL

Pat, who would really *like* to have signs of spring, even imaginary ones, and is looking forward to maybe having the first redwings and grackles calling in a couple weeks if we get a warm snap.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Not much sign of spring here yet. We're expecting more snow tonight through tomorrow and into Monday.
I am hearing some birds in the morning that we hadn't been hearing. My ducks are showing signs of spring fever ;)
My chickens are laying much better and my female Khaki Campbell has started to lay and won't quit!
OH! The mud! The mud is a sign of spring, right? :rolleyes:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The wind is blowing so much here that our mud is, thankfully, drying up!

Sorry, Pat! Shall I send you a tiny green sprout of new grass to bolster the rumors or just let sleeping dogs lie? :D Never fear, we are supposed to get a massive snow storm this week as well.

I was surprised to see the crocuses...and I probably wouldn't have but my rogue Black Star escaped once again to tear out the landscaping....exposing some bright green grass sprouts and my crocus tops in the doing. :rant

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My chickens had their first dustbath in months today! Okay, it was more of a mudbath, and there was only about a 7 inch wide gap in the ice and snow that melted so they had to take turns, but still, they were thrilled!!! :weee Oh, and I'm definitely hearing more bird species out there these last few days!

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The sun is bringing some 70 degree days
Winter blues are fading along with the haze.

There is nothing like the coming of Spring
It makes you feel good.

:th

nmsunrise

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We've had such a dry winter and the temperatures have been unusually warm but my daffodils are just about ready to bloom and my garden is ready to till so even though we may still have some more cold snaps, spring is pretty much here.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:yuckyuck There for a moment I thought it was a Freemotion original..... :lol:

When I get that first smell on the air, that first sound of spring peepers.....well, my heart feels like its going to burst with happiness. Every year its the same, that same feeling.....never gets old. :love