Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The sheep are eating quite a bit of hay now that they are confined to their pen....been there since hunting season started and will stay there until we get fencing put in place. Hopefully soon.

Got new hay Wed. and it's great hay.....you can smell summer when you sniff this hay. Barn kept, put up right, lots of leafy green in there....horse quality hay. Worked in the sunshine and cold today getting it into the pen and under the hoop shelter, then put the last of the other hay into the other feeding station. Both stations full of fresh smelling hay and CP panel placed against it to prevent excess waste. That's a lovely feeling! Makes me feel rich.

The DL in the pens is working great, even with the constant rains we've had these past few weeks. The poop is just disappearing into the leaves and the DL is springy, absorbent and keeping the mud underneath where it belongs. Can't smell excess urine either, so it's definitely working thus far.

All sheep are fat as ticks and filling out in the womb area already, which surprised me as we have 4 more mo. to go. Poor old Rose will be dragging the ground by then if she continues to get this big, this fast. I'm betting she'll be having triplets.

Shine is filling out fast also, as are the younger ewes. Shine has gotten less jumpy and wary since getting more sheep in her herd, so we are having a better relationship...she seems to trust me more as her shepherd. She's one beautiful sheep and my favorite to look upon, though Rose is the sweetest and I love her moochy personality.

I feel so very blessed to have sheep again!!! Can't wait to see those twirly tails in the spring. :love

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a milk crate I leave in the sheep barn. I like to sit on it, it puts me at their level. Some come to me for scratches and love, some don't. I've been catching the two keeper ewe lambs and holding them, scratching and lavishing attention on them. It seems to be calming them down some. Now I have a new little girl to hug and squeeze LOL.

I can't wait for you to have lambs, they are so sweet.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Spent a little time today shuffling around things in the sheep pen, tightening down panels against depleted bales and moving DL around to cover high traffic areas and take some thickness off areas that need it less.

Only took a couple of minutes of fork work to even things out, which I love. The DL is performing very well, with no strong smells or areas of mud or excess poop. Just a nice, spongy floor of leaves, hay and other woody matter underneath.

Also raised a gate that's been needing raised to clear the thickening layer of DL, so that I could build the DL thicker by that gate, which gets the most traffic of all. Got a couple of weeks of rain every day coming up and want to be ready for it. I'm pretty satisfied with the results and now have plenty of room to build that thickness I so need there.

Wish I could send some of that rain to the land down under, where they need it most.

Let two sheep out on the land to browse in the nearby thicket, left the rest behind to insure they don't wander too far from the flock. Will switch those groups out tomorrow or the next day to let them all get some fresh soil under foot and some good browse to their diet.

Fences can't be built too soon around here.