Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The past few days I noticed my formerly very black sheep was turning a bit reddish brown on top...did some research and it could be the use of the sulfur block. It can decrease the uptake of copper in the diet and create a copper deficiency. Since I'm feeding a mineral that has plenty of copper in it, I know it's not the copper content in the mineral mix.

All the same, I'll be adding a commercial loose mineral mix to the sheep's mix to make sure...but first I'm removing that sulfur block and see what changes happen. They've sampled that block quite a bit...and I haven't seen any decrease in the amount of gnats and horse flies plaguing them, so the sulfur keeps away biting insects theory is a bust.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Waiting on pictures of your new ram lamb! I can't wait! Not all rams are bad boys. Katahdins especially are known for being more calm. Our ram Ringo is a sweetheart. When we first got him, he shook his head and pawed the ground. I slapped his face and he hasn't done it since. He loves to be petted and brushed. If I walk away, he will follow for more attention. He knows his name and comes when called. Of course, ALL the sheep come running when I call. He will do anything for animal crackers, he loves them.

Ask @Farmfresh what disposition her rams have. You might be pleasantly surprised. One of the reasons I switched from black head Dorpers to Katahdins was the rams disposition. I had a Dorper ram that hit me too many times and he went to slaughter. The lady I got him from said that his sire would take your kneecap off. I kept his son for one breeding season, then we got Ringo. Ringo will never go anywhere.

I wouldn't be afraid to halter break him, or handle him. You are in tune with animals, they love and respect you. Yes, you have to respect a ram, but just because he is a ram doesn't make him bad. There are rams that are calm and respectful, there are unhandled rams that see everything as a threat and there are rams that have no fear and no respect. I truly believe that with proper handling, you can teach your ram to respect you. Each one is an individual and I know that you have what it takes to access him and know how best to handle him.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ask @Farmfresh what disposition her rams have.

She said his daddy was a sweetheart, as was all the females on his lineage. The last Kat ram I had experience with was also a sweetheart, so you could very well be right, Bay.

It's sort of like White Rock roosters....haven't met a single one that wasn't docile, easy to get along with.

This ram lamb definitely has a face one could love on...I'm going to try to resist doing that too often. :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
New ram lamb from Farmfresh in MO...his name is Josiah, but will likely be called simply "Jo". He's a little dirty from his travels but he'll clean up when he gets out on pasture.

2_5d62aa56331207df4af20d9058b730c3_t.jpg

2_cdfeff7a998105d7b8af5a089bbaddb4_t.jpg

2_40ad7f98eb5710932d45b41813639ab1_t.jpg