Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:D That's what I said...I think CC was interrupted mid thought? All the while I was growing up, my parents always awakened us with this statement, "Rise and shine!!! We are wasting daylight!" even when it wasn't even daylight yet!

Dad often expected us to work an hour or two before breakfast to "work up an appetite", which was entirely unnecessary...no one in our family ever had to "work up" an appetite. :gig

So, when I got these sheep I noticed right off hand, when the black one was brought into the daylight and out of the darkness of her home barn, her fur just shown and glistened in the sun. It was unexpected in a sheep, as their hair/wool tends to be a little nappy rather than slick and shiny, particularly the black ones.

Rose, on the other hand, had slick hair/fur but didn't shine like the black ewe....but when we tried to move her to the truck, she was the most problematic. She reared up like a wild horse, threw herself onto the ground and rolled around, tried to run through us and away from us...not exactly what one would expect from an oldster like her.

So, when thinking of a name for Shine(and the previous owner said she was the "most shy"...but I didn't want to name her Shy), her name kind of popped into my head....Shine. We have a habit of naming animals with people names around here and I struggle to get away from it but tend to lapse back into it anyway. Shine seemed pretty far away from that...but as soon as I said "Shine" in my mind, my memory completed the word with "Rise and shine!!!!" I'd heard so many times from my youth.

Can't really call a sheep "Rise"...doesn't mean much. So, considering the oldster was so prickly and hard to handle(not because she was as lovely as a Rose, that's for sure...I find her a not very attractive sheep, actually), I was thinking "Rose"...that's acceptable as an animal name, not always used as a person's name and goes well with Shine. Rose and Shine!

Names sometimes have a self fulfilling prophecy type of thing, so when one names a dog Killer or Cujo, oft times that dog is approached with fear by others and it gives a dog a leadership role it wouldn't normally have.... and can turn the dog exactly into what his name describes. A nasty dog.

Didn't want to call a sheep Shy nor one Thorny, as both of those names have a negative association when it comes to livestock~no one wants a fearful nor dangerous sheep. Would I be expecting Shy to always be fearful, so not expect her to eventually tame down and become more easy to handle? Would I always be expecting trouble from a sheep called Thorny or any reference to her bulky nature or not so pretty appearance? Would I get a different result than I wanted with these negative descriptor names? I'm thinking yes. They say one should picture what they WANT rather than what they currently have, if one is to have success with an animal. :D

I know...my mind works in convoluted ways and often doesn't shut down, so I'm left with random neurons firing throughout the day and night. :idunno

But, that's the origin of those names. So far Shine is still more shy than Rose...but Rose is taming down very well. She's not any more beautiful to me yet but I find myself growing more fond of her by the day. Shine is beautiful to me, but represents a challenge to me to win her over and to have her trust me so that her name fits her in all ways. I don't want her to always be shying away from me.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:D That's what I said...I think CC was interrupted mid thought? All the while I was growing up, my parents always awakened us with this statement, "Rise and shine!!! We are wasting daylight!" even when it wasn't even daylight yet!

Dad often expected us to work an hour or two before breakfast to "work up an appetite", which was entirely unnecessary...no one in our family ever had to "work up" an appetite. :gig

So, when I got these sheep I noticed right off hand, when the black one was brought into the daylight and out of the darkness of her home barn, her fur just shown and glistened in the sun. It was unexpected in a sheep, as their hair/wool tends to be a little nappy rather than slick and shiny, particularly the black ones.

Rose, on the other hand, had slick hair/fur but didn't shine like the black ewe....but when we tried to move her to the truck, she was the most problematic. She reared up like a wild horse, threw herself onto the ground and rolled around, tried to run through us and away from us...not exactly what one would expect from an oldster like her.

So, when thinking of a name for Shine(and the previous owner said she was the "most shy"...but I didn't want to name her Shy), her name kind of popped into my head....Shine. We have a habit of naming animals with people names around here and I struggle to get away from it but tend to lapse back into it anyway. Shine seemed pretty far away from that...but as soon as I said "Shine" in my mind, my memory completed the word with "Rise and shine!!!!" I'd heard so many times from my youth.

Can't really call a sheep "Rise"...doesn't mean much. So, considering the oldster was so prickly and hard to handle(not because she was as lovely as a Rose, that's for sure...I find her a not very attractive sheep, actually), I was thinking "Rose"...that's acceptable as an animal name, not always used as a person's name and goes well with Shine. Rose and Shine!

Names sometimes have a self fulfilling prophecy type of thing, so when one names a dog Killer or Cujo, oft times that dog is approached with fear by others and it gives a dog a leadership role it wouldn't normally have.... and can turn the dog exactly into what his name describes. A nasty dog.

Didn't want to call a sheep Shy nor one Thorny, as both of those names have a negative association when it comes to livestock~no one wants a fearful nor dangerous sheep. Would I be expecting Shy to always be fearful, so not expect her to eventually tame down and become more easy to handle? Would I always be expecting trouble from a sheep called Thorny or any reference to her bulky nature or not so pretty appearance? Would I get a different result than I wanted with these negative descriptor names? I'm thinking yes. They say one should picture what they WANT rather than what they currently have, if one is to have success with an animal. :D

I know...my mind works in convoluted ways and often doesn't shut down, so I'm left with random neurons firing throughout the day and night. :idunno

But, that's the origin of those names. So far Shine is still more shy than Rose...but Rose is taming down very well. She's not any more beautiful to me yet but I find myself growing more fond of her by the day. Shine is beautiful to me, but represents a challenge to me to win her over and to have her trust me so that her name fits her in all ways. I don't want her to always be shying away from me.

Well that makes perfect sense now. I just found it funny you would name the Rose and Shine. Here I thought you were referring to moon shine made from rose hips or rose petals, boy was I ever wrong :eek:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Beekissed I totally get how you came up with those names now.

My first husky was named Siska. My thinking process: Sitka was the first capitol of Alaska and this was my first husky; but she was a little bit afraid of men, so she was a sissy - ergo; she was a Siska.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Animal names speak a lot about their owners also. Like my wife naming her Rottweiler "Baby Bear" shown as my avatar. Good God at 135 lbs of all muscle he really is a bear to handle at times.

But he does keep people he doesn't know away from the house. Including the mail man, UPS, FedEx, Sales People, Jehovah Witnesses and anyone else he "might not want" in his yard. His bark says hey man, I'm a mean ass big dog, are you really sure you want to come up here? So far everyone has said nope not going up there.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our German Shepherd is almost 120 pounds. The first time he barked his "big dog" bark he scared himself and came running to me to protect him, lol!
He is behind a decorative steel, 4' fence and people will walk up to the gate and stand there. Friends know he will stop barking if you ask him to get his ball - he goes and gets it and pushes it under the gate for the person to throw. But no-one is willing to open that gate and walk up to the house unless they are family.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Made a sheep chair out of a pool ladder and a cargo net we had here...it ain't pretty but it just might do the trick. Will try it out as soon as I can and take a pic of the sheep in it, if I can get them in there.

Beats paying over $100 to Premier1 for a sheep chair...totally free is always better.

Also making some nipple drinkers for the sheep from some Lixit nipples and some drink coolers we had on hand but will never use again. Bought some adaptor fittings from Lowe's that cost a couple of bucks and that and the price of the nipples are all I have in this project. Will see how the sheep like them...for sure they will eliminate nasty water, water waste, etc. and I may even be able to convert them to a heated waterer with the use of an aquarium heater this winter.

That's some cheap waterers.

Yes, my whole setup looks like someone took some junk from the county dump and threw it at the land.... and it somehow stuck. Free pallets, lots of scrap lumber, CPs and T posts we had on hand, wire I had on hand, etc.

It ain't pretty but I'm hoping it gets the job done until I can do something more permanent.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can’t tell you how many “temporary” animal pens and shelters I’ve made in the last 4 1/2 years. Still have a lot of temporary stuff but it has enabled me to see what works before I built something permanent that does not work.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I can’t tell you how many “temporary” animal pens and shelters I’ve made in the last 4 1/2 years. Still have a lot of temporary stuff but it has enabled me to see what works before I built something permanent that does not work.

That's what I have found as well, Bay...always nice to do a dry run with temp shelters and setups before settling on the one that works and you want to make more permanent.