Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
@Beekissed I hope it works for you. Sounds like an interesting system.

Thank you, me too! If this all works it could really streamline and better watering for all animals in all seasons, but particularly in the winter months. Once I get this established, I'll be moving the dogs to the same kind of watering. Right now I use a heated bucket for the dogs in the winter, but one of the dogs is now so small he won't be able to utilize that and the heated buckets get slimy and have to be emptied of nearly half the water...creates an ice slick and a lot of waste each time.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don’t have to fight ice all winter and I sure am glad. We have scattered icy days and sometimes a week or two of freezing temps. I fill the horse tank and bust ice twice a day while the freeze is on. I carry buckets of boiling water to pour in the icy frozen buckets of water for Sheep and chickens. THAT gets old and I only have a week or two of it. I really hope your water heater works and works well for you. Toting buckets ain’t no fun!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don’t have to fight ice all winter and I sure am glad. We have scattered icy days and sometimes a week or two of freezing temps. I fill the horse tank and bust ice twice a day while the freeze is on. I carry buckets of boiling water to pour in the icy frozen buckets of water for Sheep and chickens. THAT gets old and I only have a week or two of it. I really hope your water heater works and works well for you. Toting buckets ain’t no fun!

I'm used to it, but when it gets so cold that the outside spigot freezes, it all has to come from inside the house and that's when it gets a little more problematic. I tend to spill water, as I'm very clumsy.

I'm looking for a better way of doing things so that the animals get cleaner water and less overall water goes to waste.

When I get the sheep shed built, I'd like to do a rain catchment system off of that so that we can decrease muddy mess where the water runs off the roof and also capture water where it's used most, so it won't have to be transported up there.

PatriciaPNW

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think I will need pictures of this system to understand it. No rush LOL. I am mechanically challenged so I really admire you for coming up with these ideas and at least a first draft on how to make it happen. I am still working on best ways to hang chicken water dispensers- just nails and wired but still under revision. 🙄

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I will need pictures of this system to understand it. No rush LOL. I am mechanically challenged so I really admire you for coming up with these ideas and at least a first draft on how to make it happen. I am still working on best ways to hang chicken water dispensers- just nails and wired but still under revision. 🙄

I have hung chicken feeders and waterers with a hook screw in a rafter, chain and S hook. The links in the chain make the height adjustable.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the aquarium heater is something i suggested in TEG for someone else, but the problem with them is that they are often made of glass and they shouldn't ever dry out. having them protected enough from the animals and from drying out will always be important.

the other aspect to consider would be capacity to heat if there is a lot of demand. you'll need more watts for more water flow and colder input water temperature in the winter months. at some point you will also run up against how much juice the extension cords should be carrying. don't want any fire hazards anywhere!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
the aquarium heater is something i suggested in TEG for someone else, but the problem with them is that they are often made of glass and they shouldn't ever dry out. having them protected enough from the animals and from drying out will always be important.

the other aspect to consider would be capacity to heat if there is a lot of demand. you'll need more watts for more water flow and colder input water temperature in the winter months. at some point you will also run up against how much juice the extension cords should be carrying. don't want any fire hazards anywhere!

These are being used inside an insulated 4 gal. water cooler(has a lid), so no exposure to the animals nor colder input of water on a regular basis, but merely to top off the cooler every now and again. Sheep don't drink a whole lot, especially in the winter months, so the water levels wouldn't vary drastically before needing a top off. Since the cooler is insulated, the aquarium heater is keeping it pretty warm in there, even with temps in the teens. I'm pleased with that aspect of the system....it's the delivery to the drinker nipple/basin that has become the problem in cold weather.

That's something I'm going to try to solve by not using hose and nipple cup, but a direct float valve into a basin that is heated. Mostly this system is to keep water cool and fresh in the summer months, but I'm hoping to work out the kinks for winter use as well.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FYI, there are aquarium heaters on the market that do not have the glass sleeve. And many of the aquarium heaters that do have the glass sleeve also have a protective perforated sleeve that goes over that. Bee, I'll be looking forward to seeing how your set up works, especially with sub-zero temps.