Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
@Beekissed I hope it works for you. Sounds like an interesting system.
Thank you, me too! If this all works it could really streamline and better watering for all animals in all seasons, but particularly in the winter months. Once I get this established, I'll be moving the dogs to the same kind of watering. Right now I use a heated bucket for the dogs in the winter, but one of the dogs is now so small he won't be able to utilize that and the heated buckets get slimy and have to be emptied of nearly half the water...creates an ice slick and a lot of waste each time.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don’t have to fight ice all winter and I sure am glad. We have scattered icy days and sometimes a week or two of freezing temps. I fill the horse tank and bust ice twice a day while the freeze is on. I carry buckets of boiling water to pour in the icy frozen buckets of water for Sheep and chickens. THAT gets old and I only have a week or two of it. I really hope your water heater works and works well for you. Toting buckets ain’t no fun!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don’t have to fight ice all winter and I sure am glad. We have scattered icy days and sometimes a week or two of freezing temps. I fill the horse tank and bust ice twice a day while the freeze is on. I carry buckets of boiling water to pour in the icy frozen buckets of water for Sheep and chickens. THAT gets old and I only have a week or two of it. I really hope your water heater works and works well for you. Toting buckets ain’t no fun!
I'm used to it, but when it gets so cold that the outside spigot freezes, it all has to come from inside the house and that's when it gets a little more problematic. I tend to spill water, as I'm very clumsy.

I'm looking for a better way of doing things so that the animals get cleaner water and less overall water goes to waste.

When I get the sheep shed built, I'd like to do a rain catchment system off of that so that we can decrease muddy mess where the water runs off the roof and also capture water where it's used most, so it won't have to be transported up there.