wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wouldn't yo know it, now that I actually said something on here about that old hay lined up along the field edge - some one took it away. It is all gone as of this weekend. lol

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Wouldn't yo know it, now that I actually said something on here about that old hay lined up along the field edge - some one took it away. It is all gone as of this weekend. lol

NO way! After it had been there that long??? What are the chances....? :gig

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Pics of the new dog...still working out his ways and finding out a few surprises about this dog. It's like learning dogs all over again...this breed is a whole other breed of cat, which I knew but it's different when you actually experience it. I'm impressed with how he thinks and I think this will be a fun journey.

Shine lays down the law....he's wary, as a good dog should be.

100_2349.JPG (729.26KiB)

100_2357.JPG (873.42KiB)

100_2359.JPG (809.95KiB)

100_2365.JPG (1.14MiB)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He is learning! And you are right, this breed is a whole 'nother species of dog. Everything you know about dogs has prepared you for this moment, the obvious truth is that you can chunk most of that out the window and let him teach you. It is starting all over again. LOL At least you and I are smart enough to take a step back and marvel at what we have.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
He is learning! And you are right, this breed is a whole 'nother species of dog. Everything you know about dogs has prepared you for this moment, the obvious truth is that you can chunk most of that out the window and let him teach you. It is starting all over again. LOL At least you and I are smart enough to take a step back and marvel at what we have.

Most definitely! I've had GPs, I've had an Akbash, and now this breed mix of GP/Anatolian/Maremma with Ben....but I'm finding the Anatolian breed to be very different than all of them. I've been interested in this breed since 2001 and have loved all the various traits they possess, admiring them from afar....but never had the chance to see them in their pure form. It's enlightening.

Makes me wonder why anyone would want to water down the breed by crossing them with another LGD breed.

You are right....I'm on a learning curve, as I seriously do not want to "ruin" this dog by being too heavy handed, too alpha~he needs to see the sheep flock as his alpha, not me~but still guiding him in his role here, as he has no older dog to show him the ropes. Ben is tied up this time of year due to gun season~for which I'm thanking God, as I don't want this pup to pick up Ben's bad habits and lack of seeing the sheep as part of his pack.

So far I'm just trying to show him his place is wherever the sheep are, but the sheep don't need to be wherever HE goes. He tries to bunch them at times and bring them back into the center of the meadow but this doesn't allow them to browse, so I've given a few verbal corrections on that and this morning I can see him moving into the woods WITH them but not trying to gently bring them out of there. Good dog! He doesn't take much to teach him a concept, so I'm going low and slow on teaching but instead am watching and waiting for teaching moments and trying not to be too heavy on it....just light corrections and direction.

Whenever he comes to me or tries to follow me too far from the sheep, I tell him "back' and "sheep"....he knows "sheep". I keep using the word around him when we are with the sheep, when I call the sheep, etc., so he's picked up on that pretty quickly.

Last night I heard him barking for the first time, so he's starting to guard at night...and like he should,not barking at everything but definitely sending out a warning to some things. And he's not just backing Ben up....last night I heard him bark first and Ben second his notion.

This is very fun! I love learning new things and this dog is definitely a new thing. Trying hard to find that balance between socializing him~impossible not to here, with us and grandkids all around his work area~and not pulling his mind from his purpose here. He LOVES affection, these little kids, people with a soft energy...he seems to gravitate towards them, possibly guarding them?
'

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOVES affection, these little kids, people with a soft energy...he seems to gravitate towards them, possibly guarding them?

Everything is part of their guard world that belongs on "their farm & flock". They know their place and job but, you are included -- they just feel you may be more able to recognize a threat than the sheep. It's the surprise, or attack situations to which they will intervene to assist you. Seems they are alpha for their animals but, will be the backup alpha with their humans. As it should be.

He's a lovely dog, by the way. I like his coloring.

That's a soothing view into those trees. Is the meadow area on the rise behind them also your property?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bee, he is absolutely gorgeous. I find his blue splashes to be absolutely stunning. Eyes leaking happy for you and your doggy situation. You are a blessed woman, but... you are well aware of that!

Last edited:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Everything is part of their guard world that belongs on "their farm & flock". They know their place and job but, you are included -- they just feel you may be more able to recognize a threat than the sheep. It's the surprise, or attack situations to which they will intervene to assist you. Seems they are alpha for their animals but, will be the backup alpha with their humans. As it should be.

He's a lovely dog, by the way. I like his coloring.

That's a soothing view into those trees. Is the meadow area on the rise behind them also your property?

The wooded area between us and that field is ours but the field belongs to a neighbor.....unused for many a long year, he has to pay someone to brushhog it each year. I'm going to propose he let me do it for free with some hair sheep when the flock is big enough.