SKR8PN's greenhouse journal and Zombie FYI thread

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'd love to see the pics. I have a detached greenhouse, just some metal hoops w/plastic over them, but I haven't really been using it. I have yet to find a way to really heat it that's cost efficient. I used a kerosene heater one year, and while that worked well and didn't seem to cost too much, it stunk! I'd get a headache every time I worked out there. That was b4 the prices of fuel went so high, so I don't know how much it would cost to heat it now.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
If you guys get tired of these updates, let me know and I'll quit posting them.

Friday, November 26. 5:55 pm.
It has been pretty overcast the last few days. We had spotty sunshine today with a COLD westerly wind. Right now, the outside temp is 25 degrees. The air temp inside the greenhouse is 58.9 degrees and the soil temp is 61.1 degrees!! Remember there is no auxiliary heat inside this greenhouse, only those water jugs.
Keep 'em coming. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is very interested in learning from your mistakes and successes. Looks like you can have some cool weather crops going all winter, maybe! What about root crops?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Ok......I added pics of the construction process on the very first page.
I ma just turn this post into my journal. ;)

Since I had to move a LOT of pictures around on Picturetrail, most of the pics throughout the rest of the post may not show up.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to put the photos up again! I don't think I had noticed your walkway earlier. Love it!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
It is 28 degrees here right now with light snow. The temp in the greenhouse is still 48.8 degrees, soil temp is 53.6. NO auxiliary heat source, only the thermal mass! SO FAR SO GOOD!!!

update again:
About an hour later and the outside temp has dropped to 27 degrees, over cast and still snowing. The temp inside the greenhouse has risen to 49.9 with only over cast daylight . It has rained heavily the past two days, so there has been no direct sunlight for 3 days now.
I am diggin' this greenhouse and can not wait until it gets really cold, snowy and overcast for weeks at a time to see how it does!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Great work!!! So whats growing in there now?

g
We have two tomato plants and a couple different varieties of lettuce. I'll see if I can get a shot sometime today.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just saw the tomato plants on another post. hey sure look healthy and happy. I be that new garage is staying warm as well.

Great job.