Sloppy joe recipe anyone?

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks Pat and Cassandra for your thoughts, it makes sense if theirs not to much meat, not to dense, it should be okay, like a spagetti meat sauce.
Homesteadmom, thanks to you also,i've been trying to get away from freezing things.I'm trying to get my electric bill under control,(have 2 freezers going) as well as putting up an emergency supply of ready to eat food.
I also have been canning qts. of chicken in broth.I asked in a wrong thread yesterday about the self life of canned chicken. Does anyone here have experience with this...? I've read from 1 to 3yrs, but thats a pretty long spread of time...just wondering what others here have experienced in canning chicken..thanks..Kevin

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My problem with celery is when you cook it in something it seems the taste permeates everything else cooking with it & I like to taste different flavors. My mom used to put it in her stew & I would not eat stew when I was a kid, now i eat it like crazy(no celery in mine). I like it raw, with PB best.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
My problem with celery is when you cook it in something it seems the taste permeates everything else cooking with it & I like to taste different flavors. My mom used to put it in her stew & I would not eat stew when I was a kid, now i eat it like crazy(no celery in mine). I like it raw, with PB best.
I detest cooked celery!! Just thinking about it, well, ew!! Raw with PB or cream cheese, especially those pale inner stalks. Mmmmm! Totally different veggie!
Back to the sloppy joes, I haven't been eating meat lately, but we were near the bison farm so we stopped and got some of their homegrown ground buffalo. I think I'll be making sloppy joes soon!

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I freeze sloppy joes all the time. When I make them, I make double take half before the rest of the family realizes it and freeze it. Works good for me. If I know I am going to be short on time some night I take the sloppy joes out the night before and stick them in the fridge. There you go! Works for me.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
It is different raw isn't it? I was thinking of trying to grow some next yr in my garden but not too sure about it. Still thinking. Maybe ants on a log for kids snack a lot.
Bison is sooooooooooo good. I was going to order some thru our buying club & then the price more than doubled! Out of my price range now.

Nugget, I do that a lot with mine too. That saves on getting take out which not only saves money but all the garbage they put in it too. My family gets a home cooked fast meal that way.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
Bison is sooooooooooo good. I was going to order some thru our buying club & then the price more than doubled! Out of my price range now.
The farm where I bought it doesn't have a whole lot and they are raising their prices too. I can buy it in the grocery store but that is shipped in from CO.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I can buy it in the store too but it is like $6.99/lb. And like you said shipped in from another state. I would prefer it to be local if possible. What I could get thru the buying club is shipped in from S. Dakota. I know there is a Bison farm around here maybe I should find out if they sell the meat. Just realized that. Hmmm I think I will try to do that soon. Although I think we are going to butcher our oldest cow here pretty soon so then I won't need beef after all.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
ETR, thanks & your welcome! Glad you liked it, it always goes over well in my house. I use a lot of my grandmothers recipes. My mom tells me she was an excellent cook & that I do like she did by taking a recipe & tweaking it to my families liking very well. Although I haven't tweaked too many of hers over the yrs. My grandmother died when I was only 8 mos old so I never knew her really, wish I did though from the stories told about her. Maybe I could have picked up a few of her cookng secrets too.

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Honestly??? I just squeeze in some ketchup, worcestershire sauce and garlic powder until it tastes right. I also put in a can of pork and beans with the ground meat. Serve on toast or buns.
Me too but I squeeze in some mustard too, and maybe some salsa.