Small "ethical" companies that are really owned by huge corporations

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
THEFAN said:
freemotion said:
Fight back! Save and trade seeds (as many here do....I have several varieties drying on my counter now). Buy from places like Baker's Creek.

And make your own Burt's Bees products right in your own kitchen...it is amazingly simple. You probably already have all the ingredients, maybe just need one or two. I made a bunch of lip balms a couple years ago because I couldn't find a formula that didn't have artificial ingredients/fragrances that turned my stomach. Without paying a fortune for something that I'd probably lose in a couple of weeks anyways! :p I had fun passing the extras out to my other crunchy granola friends, or crunchy granola wannabees.... :lol:
I agree 90% with this statement. You lost me in the crunchy granola part but I digress. Trading amongst members of this forum is a great start. :thumbsup
if we are trading, then I want those LOBSTERS in your pic :drool wow they look delish for sure! :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
THEFAN said:
freemotion said:
Fight back! Save and trade seeds (as many here do....I have several varieties drying on my counter now). Buy from places like Baker's Creek.

And make your own Burt's Bees products right in your own kitchen...it is amazingly simple. You probably already have all the ingredients, maybe just need one or two. I made a bunch of lip balms a couple years ago because I couldn't find a formula that didn't have artificial ingredients/fragrances that turned my stomach. Without paying a fortune for something that I'd probably lose in a couple of weeks anyways! :p I had fun passing the extras out to my other crunchy granola friends, or crunchy granola wannabees.... :lol:
I agree 90% with this statement. You lost me in the crunchy granola part but I digress. Trading amongst members of this forum is a great start. :thumbsup
"Crunchy granola" is a silly term used to describe people who are....um.....back-to-the-earth types. Like me. :p Earthy-crunchy is another term I sometimes use.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Granola or crunchy granola are accepted terms around here too :D

Crunchy granola just meaning REALLY earthy.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Sigh. I didn't know about Seeds of Change... Ben and Jerry's was a big scandal around here when they sold out and we no longer buy it since there are several home made local ice-cream makers just around here. Burt's Bees- it just sounds wrong to put anything made by Clorox on your lips. :sick And SO used to love Cascadian farms- even before they sold out they were a big "corporate" style grower and shipped and processed just like the big guys. I tried to point that out, but it didn't stick until they got bought out.

I am pretty anti-big corporation, and SO is getting there. They can pretty much do and sell whatever junk they can convince people to buy.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
valmom said:
Sigh. I didn't know about Seeds of Change... Ben and Jerry's was a big scandal around here when they sold out and we no longer buy it since there are several home made local ice-cream makers just around here. Burt's Bees- it just sounds wrong to put anything made by Clorox on your lips. :sick And SO used to love Cascadian farms- even before they sold out they were a big "corporate" style grower and shipped and processed just like the big guys. I tried to point that out, but it didn't stick until they got bought out.

I am pretty anti-big corporation, and SO is getting there. They can pretty much do and sell whatever junk they can convince people to buy.
not to totally argue other people's points here or anything, but technically so can the little guy. The difference is, the big guys can get away with it because they are less open to scrutiny and depend less on the goodwill of their neighbors, whereas the small local company's are generally held at higher levels because they are more easily held accountable. Not saying I don't agree with you, just that there is that technicality :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
When it comes to fox news, don't confuse their opinion shows with the news. I was a cnn watcher for years. Then the internet came about. things they said on air could be researched. my research showed them to be wildly biased. i lost all respect for them and never went back. i may disagree with points on the opinion shows on fox, but the hard news is pretty darn accurate. when it is incorrect, they usually announce a correction before i can type off an angry email telling them they screwed up.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
When it comes to fox news, don't confuse their opinion shows with the news. I was a cnn watcher for years. Then the internet came about. things they said on air could be researched. my research showed them to be wildly biased. i lost all respect for them and never went back. i may disagree with points on the opinion shows on fox, but the hard news is pretty darn accurate. when it is incorrect, they usually announce a correction before i can type off an angry email telling them they screwed up.
x2 Last summer union stalwart FIL was ranting why we even watched FOX with all the lies while I had the news was on. I asked him what is was that reported wrong and he starts foaming at the mouth over the hosts with opinion shows. Never did point out the news reporting lies. :/

And from the vaults of useless information from FJ that no one really cares about, I went to High School with one of the part-time/off-hour CNN anchors. I saw a clip of them trying to rationalize their position on an issue based on where they grew up and the people around them there. LMBO for an hour. Still chuckling about it now. :)