Snapshot--Moving on (A couple of photos added)

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Whaaaaa?? They don't let you have livestock at the RV park?? :ep He,he. I would be the first one to have a goat tied up out front. :lol:

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Are you the one that posted somewhere else that you are RV'ing full time?
Yew, we have been for nine years and are ready to stop.

LovinLife!!!! I would be happy to have a clothesline!!!!!! Hopefully this stage won't last much longer!!!!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
snapshot said:
Hope I did not scare everyone away with my answers! If I offended anyone with my answers, let me know and Iwill remove the ones in question.

I didn't see any offensive answers.

Really looking forward to "fixing" and will include photos. It's pretty scary right now but we will have help. There are trailer hookups with water, elec. and sewer so as soon as it is done we can move the trailer out there and stay in that until we can move in.

Can't wait to see/hear about your progress. I love the end result of fixing up houses, but really don't enjoy being in the middle of the mess (which we always seem to be). Should make things so much better to be able to park/hook up your trailer there, so you can escape the construction zone!

I am usually too antsy to get started to remember to take before pictures of anything :p

Good luck and try to have fun - I just went to look at a neighbors remodeling project. They completely gutted an old, family farmhouse and are 'modernizing' it, but keeping the old character. The best part was all the little projects they've done using bartered/free stuff: beautiful transoms from free windows, a gorgeous front door from an old found one, an amazing bath vanity from a free dresser and a sink he found in the woods - the list goes on and on! They also showed me their outhouse - it is the coolest outhouse I've ever seen! I told hubby I HAVE to have one! So fun to find like minded people and learn new things from them, just like this forum! :D

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Welcome :)
Nothing offensive here. My guess is that it's just one of those slow times on the board.
It's harvest and canning season for some of us, and others are busy with planting cool season crops or getting ready for winter.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I've had a busy couple of days. Got called in to make cheese (Farmhouse Cheddar) at the dairy. Also made yogurt on Tuesday and brought home some whey from the cheese. Made bread with the whey. Today I made Queso fresco cheese and lots of butter!!!!! Brought home three gallons of buttermilk to make the buttermilk cheese tomorrow. It is sitting out til tomorrow afternoon. Bought 20 pounds of chicken leg quarters--at 44 cents a pound-- to pressure can tomorrow morning. I just finished skinning them and cutting apart. Also HAVE to make laundrey soap in the morning as tomorrow is laundrey day at the laundry mat.

I'll try to post photos of the chicken and cheese tomorrow.

That reminds me--My snapshot avatar is not an old photo. I took that on U.S. 71 in Eastern Colorado as we headed south from Cheyenne one year. We always went that way going between Cheyenne and Quartzsite to avoid the interstate hwy. and Denver. DH hates traffic!

Talk more tomorrow!

P.S. Still in Limbo!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
So far this morning, got a crockpot full of French Onion Soup started, laundrey soap made and the first batch of chicken in the canner. I'll have one more canner full to go and then on to the Buttermilk Cheese. I don't have a big enough stove top or I would start the cheese now! I love productive mornings!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
That is a productive morning! So is working at the dairy a paid position or a family thing? Sounds like a great opportunity for you having access to all the dairy products!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
The dairy is more of a bartering thing. With lots of experience that I will use when I have milk to deal with!

My pressure canner is taking forever to jiggle! Not sure if it is because I am doing quarts (instead of pints) or because I added one extra cup of water to the canner. I had someone tell me that I needed more than 3 quarts of water--thinking they are wrong.

I am stacking canning lid rings two high in my waterbath to make a double boiler for the cheesemaking. A jar rack is the one thing I don't have yet. Well, probably lots of things I don't have yet.

We have a - not so hot - front coming through today! High is supposed to be about 80. Yippeee!