So pitch your theory!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Big Daddy---it is never just "Americans" who are wasteful. It is everywhere in the world. We are not the only excessive users on this planet....LOL-LOL------I just wanted to say that cause I hate that we trash ourselves all the time. The word "people" is better than Americans.......not fighting or anything, just a pet peeve when I read about "us" being the worst. I don't think we are....I think it is a kinda even playing field for alot of countries.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I know people talk about dominion over all we have. I prefer to think about having a humble respect for it all and spirit of stewardship.
And part of that respect, in my mind, is knowing that we are capable of making mistakes.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I don't believe religion and science are mutually exclusive. One can help us understand the other, be in awe of the other.

To me, this earth is a beautiful gift, amazing and wondrous everywhere I look. I would hate to be the first creature (human) to destroy my own means of life.

I know people talk about dominion over all we have. I prefer to think about having a humble respect for it all and spirit of stewardship.
We did lose touch with nature. Simple as that. We live in a plastic, chemical world now. We can't even stand a bug in the house...LOL-LOL

We are so detached from reality it is scary. Live with nature means you respect it.....live with plastic to protect and we forget about real nature order in this world. I think most people feel "nature" will never truly effect them...hmm...

scary truly

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I think America is worse because of the sprawl we have a tendency towards. In Europe there is mass transportation and a higher density of people in cities. I don't think there is such a thing as a suburb in Europe, although I could be mistaken. Doesn't every American own something like 1 1/2 cars or something like that? What is that statistic in Europe?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
What bothers me more, FarmerChick, is the people who like to be in pristine natural spots, but who do not get the connection that their activities in these spots are damaging them. That is true to some degree, even when you try to minimize your impact, but it is the people who don't bother to even try that worry me. How can you appreciate clean air and water and at the same time participate in spoiling it?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
What bothers me more, FarmerChick, is the people who like to be in pristine natural spots, but who do not get the connection that their activities in these spots are damaging them. That is true to some degree, even when you try to minimize your impact, but it is the people who don't bother to even try that worry me. How can you appreciate clean air and water and at the same time participate in spoiling it?
yea I know what you mean!

people are users. we don't just "use" what we need from nature, we alter it to fit ourselves...therefore not using nature in the way it is intended.....people alter life forces.

I think they closed down part of Yellowstone Natiional Park to no people. I saw a show (if I remember right) that they decided it required NO human contact to stay natural. Smart on their part. Just let nature have some private time right? HA HA

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I think America is worse because of the sprawl we have a tendency towards. In Europe there is mass transportation and a higher density of people in cities. I don't think there is such a thing as a suburb in Europe, although I could be mistaken. Doesn't every American own something like 1 1/2 cars or something like that? What is that statistic in Europe?
oh I agree that Americans are big users to excess...but we are not the only ones at all.

just that I like to think maybe saying "mankind" in general should all fix the problems. not just say us Americans are creating all the problems...

ugh---you know what I mean..LOL

take rain forests ---they are being cut down by monster numbers. I can't fix that.....yea, I can buy less and that requires less manufacturing of that wood, BUT, it is up to that country to lock in their own conservation issues also. And more and more countries that are "less users" are upping their usage now...cause they can.

bad cycle in general I guess...

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
me&thegals said:
And part of that respect, in my mind, is knowing that we are capable of making mistakes.
Oh absolutely! All the time! And being big enough to realize that maybe there is a better way of doing things.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I don't want to argue, FarmerChick, but could you really find another country that consumes as much per capita as America? Not trying to bash my fellow countrymen, but it seems like part of fixing the problem is clearly seeing it. Plus, when we clearly see how much we consume, maybe we can also see that other citizens in other countries live wonderfully well without using as much. (I'm thinking Scandinavia and Europe here, not impoverished Africa or India).

Also, those countries that are devastating their environments to grow crops, who is buying those crops? Pretty sure it is us here...